xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mahesh2k

Ubuntu Shipit Distributions Closed

I just noticed that shipit is closed for international users. It is right now only available to local communities which are approved by canonical. I don't know if this move is good or bad. But it was a treat for those who don't have fast internet connection. I'm one of those people who can't wait for more than 8-10 hours for simple download of the OS. And now that OS CDS are discontinued i don't have any other ways to get the distribution for my computer. I don't think i'll be able to upgrade the system after 10.10. I need to get the machine to nearest hotspot or some fast internet cafe in order to work out things. If you check the official site of ubuntu download there is no way for ordering CDS by any means. I think this is going to cause issue for all those who were struggling with the ubuntu and wanted to get the connection.
I know that there are some linux users here in Xisto. Most of them are likely to be on fast internet connection, so not much of problem for them. But those who are using slow internet connection are going to have loss with this change. I know this notice was old but i think i didn't made thread on that topic before and that is why i made this thread. Share here your views and let us know if you're one of those who affected with this change from canonical. How you're going to upgrade your system now ? How internet system works on your side in order to get some upgrade ?Share your views.

This is indeed a sad news for all those who were dependent on the distribution channel to get their Ubuntu CDs ;) Now the users will either have to battle with their internet speeds and start downloading, or else they will have to depend on someone else to download a copy for them. Then there is the option of purchasing computer magazines which offer these CDs for free along with the magazine. They do arrive a month later than the release of the distribution, but a month's wait seems better than that wait for the download to be finished!! Honestly though, there will surely be at least one spot in each area which will have a decent download speed, so it might be a good idea to consider getting a download from that spot. Shipit will be sorely missed though :lol: