xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Johnny

Forum Layout Improvements

Well, let's see... I joined the site about 20 minutes ago, and I noticed how cool and professional the front page looked, but then I saw the forums. The forums are extremely ugly due to overcrowding. This forum looks like it takes mod steroids, seriously.There are WAY too many mods on this forum, and a lot are relatively useless. Overcrowding makes the forum look ugly and unprofessional...My suggestions:Lose the shoutbox. Now.Can some of those ads be removed?The last posts/topics at the bottom can be removed.Those three are the main things that bring the ugly feel to the forums. There are a few other things though, like the portal. That portal is unbelievably loaded with information, which, again, doesn't look professional.Those are just a few suggestions though. And please, don't flame me for "hating", I'm just trying to put up a few ideas on how to make the site look a little better.Oh, also, the arcade mod, army system, and kenka can go. They may be fun, but unecessary for a hosting forum. I'd suggest adding a new forum for that.And why the heck is that big blank white box always there between posts!? X.x

Johnny I need to disagree with you on the arcade army and Kenka issue. Most post to host forums like to provide a community and one of the best ways is through games and activities like you see at the top. In my opinion its a great Idea to have those and they provide much enjoyment to me and what looks likes many members.

Johnny I need to disagree with you on the arcade army and Kenka issue. Most post to host forums like to provide a community and one of the best ways is through games and activities like you see at the top. In my opinion its a great Idea to have those and they provide much enjoyment to me and what looks likes many members.

68727[/snapback]

Yeah, I know, I personally like them myself as well, but like I said, it's really unnecessary for a web host. Trap 17 can just as easily make a second forum for other activities, right?

And another thing I noticed...theres a bar that sticks way out to the right of the forum...can someone fix that?

The forums are extremely ugly due to overcrowding. This forum looks like it takes mod steroids, seriously.

There are WAY too many mods on this forum, and a lot are relatively useless. Overcrowding makes the forum look ugly and unprofessional...

My suggestions:

Lose the shoutbox. Now.

Can some of those ads be removed?

The last posts/topics at the bottom can be removed.

And why the heck is that big blank white box always there between posts!? X.x

68721[/snapback]

Let's see if I can resolve some of these issues. The numerous mods are for time-zone issues. Everyone at this forum are in different parts of the world, and if Xisto recruits moderators from only the US, then there will be no moderators on during day-time in China. Therefore, there will be no moderators to...moderate...the forums during that time (spam will grow). Get my drift?

Shoutbox is there to ask a quick question. If we get rid of that, then there will be TONS of short threads laying around in the forums.

Ads, although somewhat annoying, cannot be removed. You have to think...this is a free service, so OpaQue gets no money out of this. Therefore, the ads are the only source of revenue to fuel this great idea. If they're gone, all member sites will be gone because Xisto will likely have to close.

As for the big blank white box, you probably have a firewall with ad-blocking. The space is for the ads. Your firewall blocks ads. Thus, there is a blank space.

:)

Let's see if I can resolve some of these issues. The numerous mods are for time-zone issues. Everyone at this forum are in different parts of the world, and if Xisto recruits moderators from only the US, then there will be no moderators on during day-time in China. Therefore, there will be no moderators to...moderate...the forums during that time (spam will grow). Get my drift?

Shoutbox is there to ask a quick question. If we get rid of that, then there will be TONS of short threads laying around in the forums.

Ads, although somewhat annoying, cannot be removed. You have to think...this is a free service, so OpaQue gets no money out of this. Therefore, the ads are the only source of revenue to fuel this great idea. If they're gone, all member sites will be gone because Xisto will likely have to close.

As for the big blank white box, you probably have a firewall with ad-blocking. The space is for the ads. Your firewall blocks ads. Thus, there is a blank space.

:)

68748[/snapback]

Uno - Actually, that's entirely not what I was talking about. I meant mods as in modifications, not moderators. X.x

Dos - Couldn't the site then have a "Quick questions - No points" forum?

Tres - Well, in that case, I ask, would it be okay if I personally blocked them out?

Cuatro - Very probable...

Anyways, thanks for clearing some of that up.

Honestly, I can't believe that you made this post. Sure, it's just fine that you make suggestions, but this is your first day. I remember when it was my first day (even week) and it took me a bit to get used to the forums. On your first day, it's just kinda ignorant to me critiuquing Xisto. If you're here to get hosted, lol, this is just not a good way to get started. :)

The ads (duh!) are what keeps Xisto running. You can't expect that this service is just altruistic. They have to make money some how. Feel lucky that you don't have to put their ads on your web site. Xisto is among the best hosting services on the Internet, so just learn to appreciate it first, then if you have any recommendations (maybe after a couple weeks experience), then post some suggestions.

Personally, I have nothing to ask from from Xisto except that maybe the cPanel get updated. Everything else rocks!

Honestly, I can't believe that you made this post. Sure, it's just fine that you make suggestions, but this is your first day. I remember when it was my first day (even week) and it took me a bit to get used to the forums. On your first day, it's just kinda ignorant to me critiuquing Xisto. If you're here to get hosted, lol, this is just not a good way to get started. :)

The ads (duh!) are what keeps Xisto running. You can't expect that this service is just altruistic. They have to make money some how. Feel lucky that you don't have to put their ads on your web site. Xisto is among the best hosting services on the Internet, so just learn to appreciate it first, then if you have any recommendations (maybe after a couple weeks experience), then post some suggestions.

Personally, I have nothing to ask from from Xisto except that maybe the cPanel get updated. Everything else rocks!

68795[/snapback]

1. I've been on many a webhost before. Bad looks can make or break a guest's first impression. I'm not a newb, I know what's up. Just because it's my first day, doesn't mean I don't know anything. (I actually run a host at http://www.sferahost.com//?gtnjs=1 X.x)

2. I fully understand that Xisto needs advertisements to keep it running, which I am glad for, because noone wants a webhost to die. I was simply asking if they might consider removing one or two, or maybe replacing -two- for a more profitable -one-. Again, I have plenty of experience.

And, to repeat myself, these were just suggestions, nothing more.

Uno - Actually, that's entirely not what I was talking about. I meant mods as in modifications, not moderators. X.x

Dos - Couldn't the site then have a "Quick questions - No points" forum?

Tres - Well, in that case, I ask, would it be okay if I personally blocked them out?

Cuatro - Very probable...

Anyways, thanks for clearing some of that up.

68794[/snapback]

Hope you don't mind my taking your numbering :P

Uno - Hmm, I think modifications actually make Xisto stand out from the rest of the other hosts who use the generic Invision Power Boards. Don't you? :D

Dos - Try contacting one of the admins for your idea...it just might work :D

Tres - What you do on your computer is your business :D

Cuatro - You don't know whether you have a firewall or not?? (kidding) :P

[hr=noshade][/hr]

I appreciate you taking the time to look at this forum from a professional standpoint, and I don't care what you have to say (just keep it clean) because you, and everybody else, have a freedom of speech. :)

Hope you don't mind my taking your numbering :P

Uno - Hmm, I think modifications actually make Xisto stand out from the rest of the other hosts who use the generic Invision Power Boards. Don't you? :D

Dos - Try contacting one of the admins for your idea...it just might work :D

Tres - What you do on your computer is your business :D

Cuatro - You don't know whether you have a firewall or not?? (kidding) :P

[hr=noshade][/hr]

I appreciate you taking the time to look at this forum from a professional standpoint, and I don't care what you have to say (just keep it clean) because you, and everybody else, have a freedom of speech. :)

68820[/snapback]

Un - I agree, a lot of the mods here are useful (and appealing), but there's a point where it just gets to be too much, you know what I mean?

Deux - That's um...actually what this topic was for...X.x

Trois - I suppose so.

Quatre - Well, I have a firewall, but I've set that to let pretty much everything in. It's very probable though that my independent ad-blocker was doing it.

Deux - That's um...actually what this topic was for...X.x

69117[/snapback]

Zwei - Whoops. Should have been more specific. I meant PM one of them because that's probably the only way you can make sure they'll see your idea - they're busy as it is already.

Edit: Corrected a typo :)

Edited by snlildude87 (see edit history)

Well, let's see... I joined the site about 20 minutes ago, and I noticed how cool and professional the front page looked, but then I saw the forums.

The forums are extremely ugly due to overcrowding. This forum looks like it takes mod steroids, seriously.

There are WAY too many mods on this forum, and a lot are relatively useless. Overcrowding makes the forum look ugly and unprofessional...

My suggestions:

Lose the shoutbox. Now.

Can some of those ads be removed?

The last posts/topics at the bottom can be removed.

Those three are the main things that bring the ugly feel to the forums. There are a few other things though, like the portal. That portal is unbelievably loaded with information, which, again, doesn't look professional.

Those are just a few suggestions though. And please, don't flame me for "hating", I'm just trying to put up a few ideas on how to make the site look a little better.

Oh, also, the arcade mod, army system, and kenka can go. They may be fun, but unecessary for a hosting forum.  I'd suggest adding a new forum for that.

And why the heck is that big blank white box always there between posts!? X.x

68721[/snapback]

I agree that the Frontpage did look a lot more professional than what the forms do, but thats like most forms i have looked at. It's all about bringing a customer to the website and impressing them so you get them interested (which is done with this frontpage of the website). Once you have got them interested it's about showing that looking at the form is worth while and not showing off what they can do on a computer. But a think nothing needs taking off, even the shoutout box (which makes this form a lot different from others) but just tidying up what information goes where would help. This is my first day on here so i don't want to say a lot and i don't know a lot about the form etc. but that's just what i thought.