xisto Community
imjjss

How To Protect Your Pc Without Anti Virus Software

I used to get troubles from virus and malewares frequently. Once get hit, I search help among forums and websites, try to trouble shooting and all sorts of fixing. After all the hussles, gurus finally suggest " formate your pc, make a clean install". Everytime after a clean install OS, I try to install a "better" anti-virus software or firewall. This process lasted years till one day I reallized that I have spend too much time on dealing troubles from virus. This brings me a question-- why I still use those anti-virus software if they are not working as they supposed to? Nothing exaderate-- those anti-something software work fine when nothing happens. When something bad happening, they are not working.

I did some research, my findings are:

1. A good browsing habit works better than the best anti-virus software;

2. You can never be sure that a Virus is completely removed even if you are a professional;

3. Your PC can run healthyly without anti-virus protection.

So, I decide to live without anti-virus software. My current OS install has lasted more than 4 years happily. Here's what I have done-- if you like to follow my path:

First of all, remember rule number one-- A good browsing habit works better than the best anti-virus software; That means we don't visit suspicious website and we don't click suspicious links. This rule has been suggested by many gurus. But how we know it's a bad site or bad link before we get hit? A rule without feasible implication is just talking. I'm going to show you how I impliment this rule in the following steps.

There are 2 options, let's go through one per time. In this article, I am going to show to how to use limited account to safe guarding your PC.

To sumarize the point-- use limited account and delete it anytime when it get hit by bad things. But your pc is not easy to get virus because your account doesn't have access to the system.

This sounds impossible for many people-- files, data, settings, optimizings, customizings... all will be lost? No, you will not lost anything, read on...

1. Customize your PC in the way you like;

2. Go to "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard".

You can find this tool at Start/Programs/Accesories/System Tools/Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

This tool is designed for transfering your files and settings from old computer to new computer. Now we use it to keep all your fancy settings for transfering to new account in the future.

Follow the Wizard, choose "this is my old computer" at the first step.

Choose "Other" at the second setp, and browse to a folder where you like to store this settings file.

Choose transer "settings" only.

Then, the wizard will save all your current settings to a file.

3. Create a user with limited account type.

When log in the new account, you see all things brand new with all the annoying features you dislike. Normally it would take at least one full day to customize. Now we take 1 minute to do the customizing--

4. Go to "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard".

Choose "This is a new computer"

Browse to and choose the folder where you store your settings.

The Wizard will import all your old settings to the new account.

5. log out and login again, you'll see all the features you like are with the new account;

6. Enable Windows Firewall and keep your windows updated;

7. Do everything in this limited account. Don't save files in "My Document" directory, instead, save all your files and data somewhere else.

8. Now you eventually get hit by virus-- it's imposible not get hit even with strongest anti-virus software, right? But now, you can take it easy--

9. Go to firefox, export your bookmarks and passwords, or it's even better if you use firefox Sync;

10. Delete the limited account, choose "Delete files and account";

11. Create another limited account, import the settings via "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard", just like you did last time;

12. import bookmarks and passwords.

The whole process takes about 10 minutes, and you are ready to enjoy a clean and fast PC again ;)