xisto Community
Illustrious

Making A Blog Without Already Made Source Code?

I know that everyone has heard of Wordpress, BlogSpot, Blogger, etc. to help aid people in the process to develop a blog but is it possible to develop a blog without using any of this open-source or free-source code? I was wondering how different using a CMS and developing a blog from scratch are from each other. One obvious fact is that wordpress probably has better SEO than the other blog services.

Of course it's posible. But you need to be real good at programing. Because you will have to take care of all aspects of your website, just for example-- security. With software such as WordPress, as long as you keep updating to the newest version, your website is protected by lots of complicated rules.Another example is the CMS functions. There are lots of functions in those software to help you set up a CMS site, and there are lots of plugins to help intensively using those functions. Without the software, you code all the things by your hands? May be, if all you need is just a website to make a presentation of your products or service, then, it's ok. But, if you go further into inventory managing, billing process and customer support system, each block of job is a big project in your hands. With the software, things become much easier. Of course, the software or plugins can't fit into your needs in exact way, but at least you are working with a solid fundation.

One thing that i would like to tell you. You need to stop reinventing the wheel on some points. Take a look at codes of others and simplify what you think is complex or don't like. This making CMS without looking at other's code or without branching will only make you look feel disappointed after some time because you're starting from scratch and there is very little you are brainstorming without taking feedback. Best solution is make things simple first then get feedback, ask others to join you. You should start from some framework if possible, once you get that framework then you can cut the code and start from scratch if that is what you want.One member -truefusion is on Xisto who has flat file cms made from scratch. Don't know how many times he updates that CMS but it's good for you as pointer.

More thoughts on this-- you can consider WordPress as a benchmark. Estimate your ideas, concepts, abilities..., if you feel you can make a software that can compite against WordPress, or at least can take a small share of the market. Then, it worth trying. Otherwise, it's simply not economical investing time and money for a thing that serves only you.

One thing that i would like to tell you. You need to stop reinventing the wheel on some points. Take a look at codes of others and simplify what you think is complex or don't like.
This making CMS without looking at other's code or without branching will only make you look feel disappointed after some time because you're starting from scratch and there is very little you are brainstorming without taking feedback. Best solution is make things simple first then get feedback, ask others to join you. You should start from some framework if possible, once you get that framework then you can cut the code and start from scratch if that is what you want.

One member -truefusion is on Xisto who has flat file cms made from scratch. Don't know how many times he updates that CMS but it's good for you as pointer.

So do any of you want to give me some pointers on where to start? I can pick up things somewhat quickly so a few links would be helpful. Would you recommend any specific Content Management System software for me?

More thoughts on this-- you can consider WordPress as a benchmark. Estimate your ideas, concepts, abilities..., if you feel you can make a software that can compite against WordPress, or at least can take a small share of the market. Then, it worth trying. Otherwise, it's simply not economical investing time and money for a thing that serves only you.

I highly doubt that I would ever be able to develop something that would ever compete against WordPress. At the moment, I am just looking for little snippets of code from different sources to use for my website.

There are plenty of small CMS out there i really get confused which to give you first for pointers. So i suggest looking at perch, WolfCMS and PageLime CMS. I have personally used WolfCMS and Perch so i can tell you that these are smallest possible with features. You can also think of some CMS requirement and build from there. For example, consider the requirement of landing page. People want to use landing page for selling things or items or as ad landing page. If you can make simple CMS for that then there is no need to install big CMS like drupal or joomla or wordpress for this. Simple CMS that you develop will be used for landing page. If you can build such targeted small CMS then this will not only help you learn but actually address the needs of people in the market. You don't even have to compete with any other CMS as you're targeting specific audience.

Of course it's posible. But you need to be real good at programing. Because you will have to take care of all aspects of your website, just for example-- security. With software such as WordPress, as long as you keep updating to the newest version, your website is protected by lots of complicated rules.Another example is the CMS functions. There are lots of functions in those software to help you set up a CMS site, and there are lots of plugins to help intensively using those functions. Without the software, you code all the things by your hands? May be, if all you need is just a website to make a presentation of your products or service, then, it's ok. But, if you go further into inventory managing, billing process and customer support system, each block of job is a big project in your hands. With the software, things become much easier. Of course, the software or plugins can't fit into your needs in exact way, but at least you are working with a solid fundation.

i agree this. if build a website without a open-source or don't use Blogger,Blogspot....you need a good knowledge of programming.