xisto Community
tgp1994

Sudden Onslaught Of Bsods After computer has functioned fine for more than 3 years.

I never thought of running a Linux live disk to diagnose problems but I will certainly add it to my list of things to try in the future.
I would think that running a Linux live disk would not test the hard drive in any way. The definition of a live disk is mounting everything in RAM and the hard drive is never touched. This would prove that there is something wrong the Windows install but there still might be a hardware hard drive problem. I guess Iâm splitting hairs on this one.

Great idea!

True.

And sorry for not updating you guys, but I got another BSOD, which, from what I can gather, occured while my sister was playing Sims 3. Here's the information I gained from it:

STOP 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, ...)
nv4_disp.dll

I'm telling the truth though, my graphics drivers are updated :)
Heating issue perhaps? I suppose I may as well install Rivatuner.

I guess I'm splitting hairs on this one.

Not at all, I think exactly the same way as you do : if it works correctly with a LiveCD Linux, this means that the problem is not coming from the cpu, nor the memory, nor the graphic display or the Ethernet card. This helps gratly making a diagnosis.And we could imagine borrowing a hard disk in order to see what happens with a fresh Windows install.

And we could imagine borrowing a hard disk in order to see what happens with a fresh Windows install.

We could?

Also, just booted up my computer, logged in, then went away for a few minutes. Came back, just to see another BSOD, different yet again:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (That's a first :) )
STOP Ox0000000A (0x0888D81C, 0X0000001C, 0X00000000, 0X804DF0BC)

Interesting, this is beginning to look like a driver issue more and more now. (According to this very helpful website, that particular stop message indicates a kernel-mode process or driver trying to access memory where it shouldn't have.)

I'm still certain that my memory isn't faulty. I did run that memory test, everything checked out.

I suppose I'll try running a linux distro for awhile, and see what happens.

We could?

I can imagine that you fond somebody who can temporarily provide you with a spare hard disk. You backup the whole content of this disk on an external storage (like a USB disk), you remove your own disk and put this one, you install Windows, and see if it has the same problem.That's what I stated when I said "we could imagine".
I guess that this is what a guy in a repair shop would do, in order to clarify the situation and make a real diagnostic.

I can imagine that you fond somebody who can temporarily provide you with a spare hard disk. You backup the whole content of this disk on an external storage (like a USB disk), you remove your own disk and put this one, you install Windows, and see if it has the same problem.That's what I stated when I said "we could imagine".
I guess that this is what a guy in a repair shop would do, in order to clarify the situation and make a real diagnostic.

Ohhh, ok. I didn't quite understand you at first.

Ya, that's a great idea. Maybe I could use one that saves to a USB stick, so at least sessions will stick around.

Gah... the onslaught continues.It seems like now, it's jumped up to once a day, when I turn my computer on for the first time.The first of the new type of BSODs now seems to save a memory dump to my computer when it occurs. (I'll upload one if I can.) Also, windows has now been telling me that it has recovered from a serious error the next time I reboot (about time), which I will attach a picture of.Finally, just today, I got some very odd screen when the computer was booting up. When windows finishes with the very first part of loading, and before it draws the login screen, my cursor showed up like usual, but it froze there, with some random colored pixels across my screen. I will attach several pictures of this as well.I think I'm going to burn puppy linux to a CD now, but the problem is, I don't have anything in terms of persistent storage. I don't want to have to repartition my two hard drives, and the largest usb drive I have is 64MB, which I can't even find right now. So what can I do?

The BSODs I've written down:

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT STOP 0X01AC0000 (0x00001128, ...) Memory dumped.

DRIVER_IRQL_IS_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL STOP 0x0000000D1 Memory dumped.

The most recent error recovery info:

post-39817-1173727145_thumb.jpg

(The specified "dir" directory or file was missing when I looked for it :))

Also, the unusual once in a lifetime pixel effect I mentioned:

post-21584-1173910095_thumb.jpg

Trap17_Readme.txt

If anyone could continue helping, that'd be great.

OK, this nice pixel effect looks like the one I am currently experiencing, which is related to the graphic adapter, mainly when it uses the computer memory.It makes the computer freezing at boot time when failing to initialize the graphic adapter. Some people on the web say it's a memory problem, they solved it when changing a faulty memory chip. Some other pople claim that it's a hidden bug in the Nvidia chip. That could explain that some people solved the problem when they bought a brand new non-Nvidia graphic adapter.As soon as I have money enough I will buy both memory and a graphic board, and see what happens. If your computer is still under garantee, try crying at the shop door.If not, try borrowing another graphic adapter and see how it behaves.And, of course, the "IRQ IS NOT" thing seems seems to be concerning IRQ's, so try removing everything you can (leave only the keyboard, mouse and display) in order to check that whether you have a device IRQ conflict.

OK, this nice pixel effect looks like the one I am currently experiencing, which is related to the graphic adapter, mainly when it uses the computer memory.It makes the computer freezing at boot time when failing to initialize the graphic adapter.
Some people on the web say it's a memory problem, they solved it when changing a faulty memory chip.
Some other pople claim that it's a hidden bug in the Nvidia chip. That could explain that some people solved the problem when they bought a brand new non-Nvidia graphic adapter.
As soon as I have money enough I will buy both memory and a graphic board, and see what happens.
If your computer is still under garantee, try crying at the shop door.
If not, try borrowing another graphic adapter and see how it behaves.

And, of course, the "IRQ IS NOT" thing seems seems to be concerning IRQ's, so try removing everything you can (leave only the keyboard, mouse and display) in order to check that whether you have a device IRQ conflict.

Wouldn't windows tell me up front in device manager if there was an IRQL conflict?

Well, anyhow, I'm all booted up into Puppy linux.

I looked through my dmesg right after booting up, and a few things caught my eyes:

Notice: NX (Execute Disable) protection cannot be enabled: non-PAE kernel!
AMI BIOS detected: BIOS may corrupt low RAM, working around it.

Those two lines weren't next to each other, they were just the only lines out of my dmesg that seemed interesting.
I don't know what they mean, but if anyone's interested, I'll attach my full dmesg log :) (Thanks for looking through it, if you do.)

admin.php

So now what? Do I just run puppy linux for a few days, and see what happens?

Well, anyhow, I'm all booted up into Puppy linux.So now what? Do I just run puppy linux for a few days, and see what happens?

Precisely, you run puppy linux for a few day, trying to do everything you were used to, and see how the system behaves.
If you experience no kernel panic, this will mean that you have no hardware problem, at least each hardware managed by puppy Linux works fine.
After that several-days-test, back to windows if necessary. Then, if possible, I would suggest simply remove your hard drive and perform a fresh Windows install on a virgin disk.
If you cannot borrow a disk, simply make a backup of your Windows system disk, test the backup, format the c: disk and perform a fresh windows install.
Regards
Yordan

Precisely, you run puppy linux for a few day, trying to do everything you were used to, and see how the system behaves.If you experience no kernel panic, this will mean that you have no hardware problem, at least each hardware managed by puppy Linux works fine.
After that several-days-test, back to windows if necessary. Then, if possible, I would suggest simply remove your hard drive and perform a fresh Windows install on a virgin disk.
If you cannot borrow a disk, simply make a backup of your Windows system disk, test the backup, format the c: disk and perform a fresh windows install.
Regards
Yordan

Could a segfault possibly be caused from hardware as well? I remeber seeing one last night while trying to install F-prot throught pupget, although I regret to say that I didn't copy it down :) (I found out that my bios supports booting from usb devices, so I put a 512mb card into my card reader, and installed puppy linux onto that.)

I wanted you to use just the standard linux, without the addons, and see if it works correctly.A "segmentation fault" is a software problem. So, if it's coming while installing a new tool, I'm not suprised. So, on your 512 megs card, please install a puppy Linux without any modification. The aim of this is to decide whether your hardware is faulty or not.When we will be sure that you have no hardware problems, we will be able to look at the sofware problem.Puppy is the best solution for testing your basic hardware. Unfortunately, it's not the best solution for some subtile software behaviours ; the puppy community is not very wide today, so the bugs resolution needs a lot of time. I'm currently experiencing some dictionnary crashes, which simply close my seamonkey window, rather disagrable.So, let's first look the basic install, then we will see if subtile things can also be fixed.RegardsYordan

Meh, that's ok, I don't use seamonkey anyways.It looks like I may have to put off the puppy linux usage for a bit: on Thursday, my computer became infected with a host of malware, so I've been dedicating most of my time to cleaning that. (Ironically, since becomming infected, my computer has not received a single BSOD, other than one due to the fact that one of my virus scanners had quarantined Winlogon.exe previous to a reboot.)

Did someone reply? I just got a notification email saying so.