xisto Community
ivan_1602

How To Connect Via Lan Cable Win7 And Xp Sp3

can someone explain me step by step how to connect my laptop with windows 7 and my PC with XP SP3 via LAN cable, but with normal LAN cable, not with cros over cable!i was searching all over the internet and i couldn't find tutorial or something what would help me. all i found was how to connect them with router or wireless or something else,but i need to connect them with normal LAN cable because of file sharing and file transfer between them.i hope that someone will help me!sorry on my bad english ;) thank you!

Hi, Ivan,I moved your topic here because this is most probably it's place.OK, first of all, forget this "cross cable" thing.You are talking about recent computers, with recent Ethernet adapters.Some years ago, the old computers had old Ethernet adapters. These adapters were not smart enough, and could not guess if they were connected to another computer or to a swich/fan-out/router/bridge. So, they needed special cables : normal cable from PC to switch, scart (crossed) cable from PC to PC.Now, all PC's and laptops having recent Ethernet adapter. Now, when you connect with a standard, what you name "normal" Ethernet cable, the PC says "Hi, I am a PC" and the remote thing also says "Hi, I am a PC", and the agree "let's switch to the PC-to-PC mode", and everything works well.You can see that easily : as soon as you connect an Ethernet cable between your laptop and your PC, you will see a small light appearing near the Ethernet socket, fix or blinking. Fixed light means "connected", and blinking light means "connected and transferring data".So, everything you read until now is usable, except you can simply forget the "cross" word, any cable will work fine today.So, you have first to connect both cables.Then you will have to give a fixed IP address, because there is no DHCP server reachable on your cable, so none of your PC's will find something which assign them an IP address.You have to give each PC and IP address on the same network as the other one, but the last digit being different.For instance your PC will be 192.168.10.1 and your laptop will be 192.168.10.2If one of the PC's was already on the internet, before removing the cable (or before changing the IP address), record the previous settings somewhere (for instance use WordPad and put them in a file you name old_settings.rtf.If this was not completely clear, don't panic, first plug the standard cable between both computers and then come back here, we will give more explanations.Hope this helped.Yordan

hehe, i know all that things, i've allready tried to connect them with static ip adress, but it didn't work, and i will forget that cross ;) some guys were using that cable to connect xp and vista, and because of that i aksed ;) and thank you for explenation :P i will try again with static ip adress, and if doesn't work i will come here again for some advice :P thank you yordan ;)

yordan help!

i've tried with static ip adress and it's not working or i'm really stupid ;)

i've puted on XP comp IP adress 192.168.10.1 and on laptop 192.168.10.2, subnet is allocated

automaticly, and default gateway stays empty.

and the thing is that on XP, network is ok, and it's recognized.

here is the screenshot of the laptop with win7 and it look like network is not recognized.and i'm sure that network card

on laptop is working properly.

Posted Image

Edited by ivan_1602 (see edit history)

open what?

Sorry, incomplete post, here is the full answer.

i've puted on XP comp IP adress 192.168.10.1 and on laptop 192.168.10.2,

OK, let's see if the physical layer is correct. On the XP system, open a "cmd" command line window and type
ping 192.168.10.2
And go to the laptop, open a "cmd" command line and type
ping 192.168.10.1
And tell us what is the result of this command. You will probably see a pop-up appearing with a security warning from your firewall of from the antivirus, asking if you want to accept the incoming Ethernet packet, say that you accept it and you trust this IP.
Also tell us if you see a led light near the NIC socket appearing when you plug the Ethernet cable.

ok, the little LED's are working on laptop and on the comp, what means that the network card is working properly,and this is the result from cmd after putting the static ip like before.from XP :Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping 192.168.10.2Pinging 192.168.10.2 with 32 bytes of data:Request timed out.Request timed out.Request timed out.Request timed out.Ping statistics for 192.168.10.2: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),from win 7:C:\Users\Ana>ping 192.168.10.1Pinging 192.168.10.1 with 32 bytes of data:Reply from 192.168.10.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128Reply from 192.168.10.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128Reply from 192.168.10.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128Reply from 192.168.10.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128Ping statistics for 192.168.10.1: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0msit's look like they aren't conected, but i really don't know why!ok,yordan tell me the next step ;) and thank you for helping me ;)

from win 7:

C:\Users\Ana>ping 192.168.10.1

Pinging 192.168.10.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.10.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.10.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

OK, they are connected because the XP system (192.168.10.1, right ?) answers when pinged from the win 7 system.
Now, go to the XP system, and share a folder.
The win7 system should be able to mount it.
Could you please try this ?

i was away from the computer, so i'm writing now, i tried your proposition yordan and it wasn't working, but never mind, i borrowed removable hard drive from my friend and now everything is ok ;)and the firewall's was off! but never mind now, and thank you