xisto Community
evought

One Computer Switching Between Multiple Monitors How to find a VGA/DVI switch for switching between two outputs

I have a Mac Mini with a single DVI-video output. It came with a DVI-to-VGA adapter. I have a DVI-to-HDMI cable, a couple VGA cables, and a DVI-to-DVI cable. We had a decent LCD flat panel we used for daily computer work which had decent resolution and crisp text. We do watch movies on occasion, however, and it was hard to see across the room (we do not have a "TV"), so we got a bigger screen (plasma) at a clearance sale. But the bigger screen, while being fine for movies, is very hard for me to do computer work on. The text is no longer crisp and it bothers my eyes after a short while, often leading to headaches. I would really like to be able to use the better, smaller LCD for computer work and only bother with the big screen when actually watching something. The smaller LCD uses less power as well.But the problem is that the Mac Mini has only one video out and will not support two monitors. I do not want to have to fiddle with cables all the time, especially since I know plugging and unplugging video cables constantly is a good way to ruin the cable or connector--- we have a laptop right now with a dead DVI-out. One used to be able to buy a VGA-switch where you could hook a computer to the switch and then connect the switch to two displays, say a monitor and a conference room projector, and then just flick the switch to go between them. The computer would not be "dual display:" it would just act as if one device had been physically unplugged and the other plugged in its place. The LCD screen takes either VGA or DVI input (or component) and the Plasma takes VGA, HDMI, or component. When I do searches for this kind of device, however, I keep coming up with gobs of KVM-type switches which allow you to use one monitor/keyboard with multiple PCs. This is the exact opposite of what I want.Any suggestions? Can you still buy VGA/DVI switches that do what I need? Is there another way I am missing? Do other people have this problem?

I can see where your problem is coming from. When I did a search on newegg.com, I was getting all KVM results. I changed my search to âmonitor splitterâ and had much better luck.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

A particular product that I found is the GWC VS1120 Video 2-Port Splitter (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817107511&cm_re=monitor_splitter-_-17-107-511-_-Product) which takes one computer input and has two monitor outputs and costs $24.99. There are several other results on the first page and hopefully this will get you started.

As a note, no particular endorsement for this product or newegg.com. Newegg is just where I usually do my shopping for computer hardware.

I use to have a similar awkward VGA setup when the 1st XBox came out. Of course I really didn't have much space in my room/office for a 19" CRT (very BIG), and a 20" TV on my desk/drafting table. I like games, pc games, but my work/schooling was more leaning to onscreen PC/work than physical drawings/paper assignments/etc.

From video console gaming I knew there were products which you could connect various incoming RCA, svideo, and rf switches together and connect to one outgoing video/audio output. The product I had was a Pelican A/V switch that eventually broke. I ended up taking it apart and found out I also had support for additional output sources via unused solder contacts for 'composite video, muti-channel audio, and contrast, brightness, bass, treble, etc.'

I used it so I could play video games on my computer screen and make use of the multi-channel audio output of my 5.1 speakers since I did not have a a/v stereo setup.

After Google'ing I could not find my product but here is a link to something more current and robust that what I had. I might get something very similar Outside review of a Pelican product- just so I can test it with my Video over Cat5e cabling tests - you never know when you might be in a pickle of bidding on datacom project for an event like a Golf tournament. j/k LOL ;)

Hope this helps
Levimage

I can see where your problem is coming from. When I did a search on newegg.com, I was getting all KVM results. I changed my search to âmonitor splitterâ and had much better luck.
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

A particular product that I found is the GWC VS1120 Video 2-Port Splitter (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817107511&cm_re=monitor_splitter-_-17-107-511-_-Product) which takes one computer input and has two monitor outputs and costs $24.99. There are several other results on the first page and hopefully this will get you started.

As a note, no particular endorsement for this product or newegg.com. Newegg is just where I usually do my shopping for computer hardware.

Yes, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.