xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Herbert1405241469

Left 4 Dead 2 Review

When I heard that Left 4 Dead 2 was coming out so soon after being released from the first one, I was apathetic. I had over 100 hours in Left 4 Dead and had moved on to other games, including Call of Duty 4 Modern Warefare 2, etc.When the demo came out for Left 4 Dead 2, I wasn't really all that impressed. I was surprised just how harder it seemed to be, because swarms of common infected were much more recurring than I recalled, and now that i've played for awhile, I see that my average number of infected killed per minute has doubled!For the black friday holiday, Gamestop came out with a $20 discount for the game, so I decided to buy it just because I heard it was a good game. Man what a bit of luck! Now that I've been playing, I must say that it is definitely worth the money. There are many more varieties of gameplay modes, and everything overall is just more polished. The locations are better than I thought they were going to be and overall just the same awesome quality I've come to expect from Valve. (of which I hope they are working on Half Life 2 : Episode 3, I can't wait!!)Graphics have been much more improved, where if you shoot a zombie, they actually "gib" (I think that's the term for it) They explode and you get to watch a shower of zombie body parts fly all over the map, rather than a simple red mist. The blood on them does look slightly cartoonish because it's too bright, but overall the graphics are much better.Gameplay is the same as Left 4 Dead, though you have different objectives now in the different modes including scavenger mode which you need to find gas cans to fill up a motor, while fending off the infected. The new game modes are innovative, but tend to get repetitive because people have found the "best" way to do things so you can anticipate that and try to avoid their tactics but they are so damned predictable now.The voice acting is tip top as usual, but some of the dialog is pretty cheesy as compared to the last 4 survivors...Such as Coach saying in the midst of an attack "I know one thing.... I'm grabbin pills!" referring to seeing a bottle of pain pills. It's just so random and obvious sounding.The new survivors have gotten a lot of flak because people loved the first 4 so much, but Valve really did a good job at picking out such unique classes of people:A slick convict with fancy clothes, a black coach who just looks like he could punch your lights out, a random black girl (to compare with a random white girl in the first game), and a southerner/hick type who knows guns, but isn't always all there.Overall,I'd say it's worth it if you can find it for $30-40, because after awhile you will get frustrated with the same problems the first L4D had, with rage quitters, griefers, and overall toughness to find a good team to play on. Plus, the game play, though innovated a bit, can get repetitive after awhile, though I do believe that I will never get tired of blowing zombies up ;)