xisto Community
tansqrx

Movie Converter Advertisement Problem On Astahost

Why has there been so many "advertisements" lately for DVD/iPod/MP4 converting software? For the past few months the exact same topics such as "How To Convert Mod/tod To Avi/mpg/mpeg, Wmv/divx/swf (mac/windows)" (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) or "How To Convert Video To Avi/mp4/mpg/mod/mov/mkv/wmv/divx/xvid" (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) have been appearing. It appears that all of the posts have been under different usernames but all have the same message. Many of the posts refer to the software company 4easysoft.com (4easysoft.com index.html).

All of the posts have been edited by the administrators to remove quoted sections but they still exist. I believe this is a clear cut case of SPAM and the entire post should be deleted to discourage the poster from making any more marketing campaigns on Xisto. I am all for users posting useful software or even making direct plugs for their own software (I have been guilty of this myself) but creating numerous threads for exact same software is over the top.

I have dealt with SPAM problems on my own forum before and it is simply a pain in the you know where. But you have to take care of the problem and be persistent or the SPAM only gets worse. Sure the culprit may keep coming back for months but delete the posts quickly before he sees any benefit, mostly from Google indexing, and he will soon more on to an easier target.

Once again, not tiring to be mean here but this has gone beyond a coincidence and deserves action.

Yeah, its annoying for regular members when they see those posts when looking for new posts. I too think this needs to be dealt seriously. Well, about getting those things indexed, I think quoted text is not indexed. But if quoting is not done soon, it can last in results almost forever.

Anyways coming to point on how to get rid of them. The only idea I can think of now is to create a policy/rule that any thread or post must contain own original content (whether the post contains quoted text or not). I think this rule already exists, but the problem is user creating new accounts for spamming. And as per rule I think moderators are required to quote and warn those new accounts. Why quote? Delete the post and warn.

I will not say that you should get a slap on the hand for every flippant post or even create a rule for original content because there are many useful posts here that would not meet that criterion. Iâm only saying that this particular trend should be deleted.

As for indexing, Google does pick up all the threads, even the quoted parts. I entered the following search into Google

MTS is MPEG Transport Stream video format commonly called AVCHD used by Sony Panasonic and other HD MTS-Mod-Tod to AVI-3GP WMV FLV MP4-MPG etc on Mac "High definition " site:Xisto.com

Which is a paragraph used in http://forums.xisto.com/topic/97377-topic/?findpost=1064404938 and confined to only results at Xisto.com. Google returned three results with the second being

How To Convert Mts/mod/tod To Avi/3gp/wmv/flv/mp4/mpg Etc - Open ...MTS is High-definition MPEG Transport Stream video format, commonly called "AVCHD", used by Sony, Panasonic, and other HD camcorders and based on the MPEG-2 ...

http://forums.xisto.com/topic/97357-topic/?findpost=1064404650 - Cached â

If you perform the same search without the Xisto domain you get hundreds of identical results all on popular forums. The top result is from MSDN at https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home which looks suspiciously like the same post on Xisto, down the last comma and question mark.

This is the definition of SPAM and Google index gamming.

You are right, there are many advertisement posts that need to be straight off deleted than quoted and warned. It makes no sense - unless its got a discussion going on about that topic.There was an advertisement posted right on this thread! I deleted it now.. This is all because I have activated posting permissions for guests. However, Guest posts require moderation to become visible on the forum to everyone. I still have to figure out a way for this spam problem though.. Captcha is not effective and many many spammers are being hired globally to do this dirty work purposely.Anyway, I searched "google" for the music site on asta and deleted all the threads I found. If you find any more, PM me please. or use the "report" button.