xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dayzed

Bios Upgrade? *wants to overclock*

I want to overclock my computer, and I thought if I was to upgrade the BIOS, then maybe I could. The whole thing is it is a prebuilt, and as you (should) know, you cannot overclock a prebuilt. So, my question is, if I upgrade the BIOS, could I overclock it? Thanks for anyone who helps me out.

You can overclock some prebuilts. My mother has a Sony VAIO that I managed to slightly overclock. But odds are if your current BIOS wont let you overclock, they probably wont add it. Also, upgrading the BIOS can be very risky, if the power goes out or the computer freezes up you are likely to have a problem starting your machine back up. In which case you probably are gonna have to buy a new BIOS or motherboard. It probably wont be worth the risk of upgrading the BIOS, since they are not likely to add overclocking to the BIOS of your prebuilt.

If its a prebuild pc, what brand is it? Or if its a custom prebuild, you might wanna tell us what kind of motherboard, cpu, memory and cpu cooling you are using? Because those are more dependent than BIOS. I'm currently using DFI Infinity NFII Ultra with Barton 2500XP+ mobile and DDR3200, I'm running at 2.2Ghz (originally 1.8GHz) without any Vcore or multiplier increase (just FSB), its been stable for about a year now. Make sure you have good cooling and thermal paste (i suggest artic silver) before you do any kind of overclock.

I want to overclock my computer, and I thought if I was to upgrade the BIOS, then maybe I could. The whole thing is it is a prebuilt, and as you (should) know, you cannot overclock a prebuilt. So, my question is, if I upgrade the BIOS, could I overclock it? Thanks for anyone who helps me out.

67974[/snapback]

yes

but how do you get the bios which can be used to overclock?

it is hard to find such thing although it is very usegful

before overclock,you should be sure the configuration of your mainboard.through the DIP switch or jumper to overclock your cpu.certainly you also can do overclock in bios at present,if there is no option for cpu to overclock you'd better to update your bios.after update your bios,every configuration must be new to control. :rolleyes:

yes

but how do you get the bios which can be used to overclock?

it is hard to find such thing although it is very usegful

144564[/snapback]

well :rolleyes:

it depends...

...On many motherboards...you don't have to chagne BIOS ...to OC.,..

on some of them..u have to download a modded version of BIOS...to OC..

I would like to overclock but last time I tried I moved up the fsb and raito and I got no display and it would not turn on or anyting and I had to remove the bios battery to get it working again so I would like try it on another amd system I dont care about :rolleyes:

Upgrading the BIOS will not help you to overclock anything. The BIOS contains hundreds of small programs that make your computer boot up when you turn it on. A newer BIOS will only support more up to date hardware, but it won't help you overclock.