xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
T100

Google's Infinity Plus 1 Plan

Anyone of you using Gmail might have noticed the amazing counter that keeps counting up for more storage space, as of this writing, it is something like 2050M already. Meaning, every acoount now gets about 2GB of storage. Of course as a normal user, I may not use up all of them in the near future, but I am just interested to know how Google is kicking out the abusers if it is providing such a huge amount of storage. You know, there are already plenty of software letting you use Gmail has a network storage, network dump, or network drive or alike. Does Google stop their accounts? Anyone has any experience being ?rejected? by Gmail? Also, I notice that more and more people are using Gmail as their peer to peer file sharing dump. They do this quite tactfully. Gmail enables POP and that?s how they exploit Gmail?s service just as they exploited free web services on the web. They will encrypt the username and password and let people use a piece of specially designed downloading software to get the files. I have seen people sharing movies and software this way. How can Gmail will defend itself, when it is providing more and more storage?

Well, Gmail itself does keep track of how it's users are using the account and among other things. For example, a guys account was deleted after Gmail found that he sent himself 50 invites. Apparently, Google won't stop giving out space, they're just going to keep on addding, by the end of the year, we'll probably get like anothe 500 megs of space. Gmail will have their ways of finding abusers, I mean, after all, it is Google that we're talking about (No one outsmarts them.). :)

As long as you don't send your self 50 invites like Whyme said then you should be ok sending yourself one or two, but now any more than that, or if you are using GMail as file storage (ex: sending yourself attachments to free up your diskspace and still get to have the files) then you should be ok.So remember the cardinal rules of GMail, maximum one or two invites, don't use your nearly hardrive like email adress as a harddrive, and use GMail!!!

i don't think it is that convenient to use gmail as hard drive anyway. I am quite certain that they limit the upload speeds. I max out my DSL connection (about 330k/s) but my upload is nowhere near my maximum (my max is 100k/s).Also, they have limited the attachments to 10mb only. But, I think you can get around this if you have an email provider (like your own domain email) that allows unlimited attachments. Use that email to send to gmail. Gmail allows messages RECIEVED to be more than 10mb.What I usually save on Gmail is stuff like passwords (encrypted though), and other stuff that I don't want to back up. So, if my computer goes down, I will have my stuff accessible.

I am very impressed by that counter! It seems to go up and is sycronized with their database, and our accounts. It's amazing how slow it goes up (google makes it look fast by letting go up at the 6th decimal). It has 2055 right now... I don't really know how much space google has on their servers... like 99999999999999999999999999999999 Gegabytes perhaps? And I still don't understand how hotmail used to offer 2 mb of email... lets hope hotmail makes a counter to "counter act" the act that google is acting. (Ok, my joke was so lame it's not even funny...) :)

Google has mulitiple servers, with multiple hard drives, i have a lapto and the hd is no bigger than the palm of my hand and it's over 160 GB, and there are terabyte drives no, so I am pretty sure, there soon will be teras in computers really soon... Do you rember back in 1997 when computers had only like 500 megs of storage, and if u had like a 1 gig hd u where like super kool, and lucky because they where rare, and now days some files are 500 megs or more... man thous where the sucky days... j/k the 90's rocked. as far as i can remember.