xisto Community
qtarsusy

Hosting Overseas

Hello Friends,I read one article on Hosting Overseas, and according to that article, there will No matter where we are located, businesses seem to clamor to host our website. After read that article I have few questions in my mind.What is the actual definition of Hosting Overseas? Why the price is different, Location is important and How they provide good services to customer?Please help...

First of all, you should have put here a link to the article you are talking about.Else, we can only speak from a general point of view.Usually, when North America people talk about "overseas" they mean "non-USA".So, for an American guy, hosting on a French server is hosting overseas (there is a sea between us, that's why it's overseas).On the other hand, if you are located in India, being hosted on an Indian server is being hosted locally.Things are even slightly more complicated if, in order to have maximum disaster-recovery security, an Indian company has computers in India and in USA, with self-replication of the data and automatic and transparent restart of the remote site in case of a local system crash. Besides this "overseas" definition problem, your post rises two different questions.1) The first question is : Where should I buy hosting ? I would say that you should buy it from a professional supplier, who seems able to provide you with security for your data (no data lost by accident) and with uptime (the people who want to go to your site should not experience "site down" situations.And, of course, you are a customer, so, for a given level of service, you will look for the lowest price.Why are some suppliers far more expensive than the other ones ? That is an industrial problem. Some suppliers have few money and want to become rich very fast, so the services they sell are very expensive. Some other ones are big industrials, which invest quit a huge amount of money in order to buy very big computers, and they expect to have a lot of customers, so that each customer's files cost few in their computers, so they can ask very few money to each client.Astahost is part of Xisto which is a really huge company, that's probably why they can achieve incredibly low prices.2) The second question is : in which country should I be hosted ? This depends from what you want to do.For my family site, showing my pictures to my cousins, the location is not very important, except for people from China who are supposed not to be able to surf on some American sites.However, if you want to sell things over the net, the situation is different.When I buy a bicycle on the net, some money goes out of my pocket. If I buy from a site in my own country, and I cannot receive my bicycle, I can go to the police and ask that the owner of the website who stole my money be punished. If the owner of the website is not in my country, the police job will be more complicated.That's why a lot of people are told not to trust website hosted far away from their countries.Hope this helped.Yordan

First of all, you should have put here a link to the article you are talking about.Else, we can only speak from a general point of view.
Usually, when North America people talk about "overseas" they mean "non-USA".
So, for an American guy, hosting on a French server is hosting overseas (there is a sea between us, that's why it's overseas).
On the other hand, if you are located in India, being hosted on an Indian server is being hosted locally.
Things are even slightly more complicated if, in order to have maximum disaster-recovery security, an Indian company has computers in India and in USA, with self-replication of the data and automatic and transparent restart of the remote site in case of a local system crash.
Besides this "overseas" definition problem, your post rises two different questions.
1) The first question is : Where should I buy hosting ? I would say that you should buy it from a professional supplier, who seems able to provide you with security for your data (no data lost by accident) and with uptime (the people who want to go to your site should not experience "site down" situations.
And, of course, you are a customer, so, for a given level of service, you will look for the lowest price.
Why are some suppliers far more expensive than the other ones ? That is an industrial problem. Some suppliers have few money and want to become rich very fast, so the services they sell are very expensive. Some other ones are big industrials, which invest quit a huge amount of money in order to buy very big computers, and they expect to have a lot of customers, so that each customer's files cost few in their computers, so they can ask very few money to each client.
Xisto is part of Xisto which is a really huge company, that's probably why they can achieve incredibly low prices.
2) The second question is : in which country should I be hosted ? This depends from what you want to do.
For my family site, showing my pictures to my cousins, the location is not very important, except for people from China who are supposed not to be able to surf on some American sites.
However, if you want to sell things over the net, the situation is different.
When I buy a bicycle on the net, some money goes out of my pocket. If I buy from a site in my own country, and I cannot receive my bicycle, I can go to the police and ask that the owner of the website who stole my money be punished. If the owner of the website is not in my country, the police job will be more complicated.
That's why a lot of people are told not to trust website hosted far away from their countries.
Hope this helped.
Yordan

Hello Yordan,

Thanks for your help. I really very thankful to you for your valuable reply.