Is This Normal For My System Drive?

Hey guys,

Is this normal for my hard drive?

Posted Image

Hitachi 320 GB SATA (3 gbps) w/ 16 MB cache - system drive

I compared it with my data disc and it doesn't seem so sporadic:

Posted Image

Seagate 500 GB Enterprise SATA (3 gbps) w/ 32 MB cache - DATA

I also noticed that my drive suddenly slowed down after a motherboard swap, could that be it? If so, is there any way to fix it?

Thanks,

xboxrulz

Hard to say how long have you had the hard drives for and what are some of the other computer specs, but I did find an interesting solution and that was to disconnect the hard drive from the mother board master socket and if you have another master socket plug it in there and see if it recognizes it as new hardware. Then once you boot up windows it should refresh the connection, interesting I know, but you could try out a new SATA cable and see if that helps or not, but I check the post out and see if any other information might help you out.

Yes, that's completely normal. The reason why the transfer speed is changing so rapidly is because both HD Tune and Windows Vista (and maybe other apps like virus scanner, indexing service, ...) are accessing the drive and are influencing the speeds that HDTune can record.Your data disk does not have this problem because it only contains data, and not executables, dll's, etc ... that other programs need (to read from and write to).

I did more tests and force reinstall the AMD chipset driver and I think I'm getting better results. I made sure that my hard drive was idle when commencing with these tests.

I've had my Hitachi since March 2008 and the Seagate since July 2008.

Also, now that I check the Device Manager, my hard drives are no longer listed as ATA devices but SCSI (which I believe should be correct now).

I re-ran HDTUNE afterwards:

Hitachi drive:

Posted Image

Seagate drive:

Posted Image

I think it's better, is it closer to a normal average? The Hitachi drive is more critical since that's where all the software and system data is. The Seagate is only for videos and documents and etc. like that so the performance on that isn't too paramount if you're just looking at the burst rate.

EDIT: Alright, I just ran a HDTUNE on my media centre with my old board. It's a Western Digital drive:

Posted Image

xboxrulz