xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
_Hybridized

Free Choice Science Project

So over here in school I have this little thing named the Student Research Project. It's basically where each student comes up with an idea of what to do for their project [hence, "free choice"] and the topic must be registered with our teacher before actually doing the task. The experiment/project cannot involve animals or plants, so there goes plenty of ideas down the drain.I have just ran out of ideas. Can anyone suggest something viable for the project?

Well, HyBriD, you gotta give us a tad more information than that if we are to come up with any half-decent ideas :rolleyes:

For example, what grade are you in? How long/detailed is the research supposed to be? Since you'll probably be putting a lot of time and energy into this, what are some of your fields of interest, hobbies, talents, or passions? Will it be a completely theoretical research, or will you put in some hands-on work and good ol' elbow-grease? You know, stuff like that.

For starters, if you know what some of your fellow classmates are working on, this might tell us a good deal about what viable options you have, and so put us in a better place to make meaningful suggestions :P

Sorry. Looking back I just realised how vague I was being. Thanks for being patient anyway.Anyway. I live in Australia, so I'm not sure how you'd treat grades in other countries but I'm in Grade 9 at the moment, and I have not received the project yet [but I KNOW it will have to be completed next year] so I cannot say what the other students are doing for their project.I'm simply open to suggestions. I have no particular areas of interest for this Science project. The project will be both practical and theoretical. Basically I have to come up with a theory and then perform a scientific experiment and write up the usual reports etc. I will need to write a journal on everything I do during the duration of the project and then orally present it to the class [most likely with a PowerPoint Presentation or something].Well, for options, it's basically anything that's not related to dealing with animals/plants and not dangerous [so nothing like testing bombs or something], so yeah, my options are a bit restricted.

Depends how much time you have, and how much money you could imagine obtain.I have a rather selfish idea. When I go walking for a long time (several days for instance) my PC is very interesting for keeping me in touch with my friends (mail and MSN).For walkers there are solar pannels, on your bag, charging a battery.It would be interesting to see how much watts/hour a portable solar pannel near your contry can provide, and see if you can create a complete set with the solar cell on the bag containing a EE-pc, and verify that after on day walking in the country you have power enough for surfing on the net during a couple of hours before going to sleep.

Try to come up with a perpetual machine. Of course there is no such thing but, taking a look at doing so reveals several fun science facts.
Even something as simple as a spinning wheel is a study in friction as the wheel stop, of course. This also demonstrates the law of conservation of energy.

*Disclaimer: I do not recommend Wikipedia as a reliable source for completely accurate information, ever.