xisto Community
Mordent

Email Solutions

One new aspect of the fact that Xisto now gives us full access to their hosting rather than the basic options that were previously offered is that I'm sure the email system is now decidedly more confusing. How so? Perhaps it's just me, but allow me to give an example or two of how I feel it's different, and perhaps anyone who knows much about the different options could shed some light on the situation:

In the Linux Regular Hosting - Logic Plan (which I believe is the most commonly used hosting so far by Xisto and Xisto members) we have a whole range of different possibilities. All of which require a yearly hosting plan, which is clearly fair enough.

Free Google Mail (10x 7GB Mail) (Domain Required*)

- The default option, and certainly it looks desirable, no? My question is about the fact that it requires a domain, and what the little asterisk next to it denotes. Is this similar to the method Xisto previously used, namely allowing us to create up to 10 separate mail accounts, each with a 7GB inbox (and hosted by Google Mail?) of the form <whatever>[at]<yourdomain>? What interfaces are available to let us see the mail sent to these accounts? Are we able to access them in the same way that we previously accessed our Xisto-based email accounts (i.e. via such programmes as Outlook Express)?

100MB LogicMail Account (@yourdomain) - (Yearly) - $11.80 USD Setup Fee

- What exactly is LogicMail, and how is it possibly better to have a 100MB LogicMail account that we have to pay for than a fair number of free 7GB accounts?

500MB LogicMail Account (@yourdomain) - (Yearly) - $23.88 USD Setup Fee

- Clearly there are a few "chunkier" LogicMail options, but it still seems like a pretty hefty investment...</option>

user@yourdomain -> forwarder/aliases (Free)

- Do we get these as well as another option (it does say "Free"...:rolleyes:)? How many do we get (note "aliases")? What sort of restrictions are there (if any)?

none

- Now, call me a muppet, but surely you might as well choose the forward/aliases option as opposed to this one? For nothing extra you get something...why would you not want that, regardless of how little you use it?

Thanks for any advice on these, as I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to how email works in general. The Google Mail option does sound ideal for someone who wants a number of email accounts something like me[at]mydomain, but I'd like to be sure. I assume you can use any subdomains/addon-domains that you have that are linked to your plan for the email accounts as well?

I guess that the (free) gmail thing is the facility offered by gmail to a domain owner to have their mail hosted by google. As the owner of the domain, if the domain is hosted at Xisto, you use your Xisto control panel (MX entries) to describe your mail settings, explicitly designating the google mailservers as your main mail servers (ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM, ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.COM, etc...)And I guess that the other offers are these where your mail servers are Xisto ones (gamma.xisto.com as mailserver, mail.yoursubdomain.astahost.com as outgoing mail server).