xisto Community
allstars

Gimp Animation Tutorial Read in the first part of the tut why i made another tut same as Lance

*removed*

Edited by allstars
Quoted the text copied from http://www.logicalgamers.com/showthread.php/gimp-animation-tutorial-lots-pic-4252/index.html (see edit history)

Hi,
This post has already been published here : http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ on 11/24/2007.
It seems that you forgot a part of the tutorial rules, as they are expressed here : http://forums.xisto.com/topic/6-forum/

3. The Tutorials must be written in your own language. This is perhaps the MOST IMPORTANT rule of all. They should not be copied off another site (Plagiarism) and directly pasted here. Plagiarism can lead to a BAN.

Did you notice the quotes I put here above ?I put the quotes because I did not write this sentences. Posting copied text is not strictly forbidden, simply you have to put between quotes (just like I did it) and mention where the text is coming from.
I put the quotes on your text today. Please do the quoting by yourself next time you post copied text. This is simply honesty, or politeness toward the text's author. If you don't do this, we could imagine that you are trying to cheat with the hosting credit system, which makes the admins around here rather mad. ;)
Regards
Yordan

Hi,This post has already been published here : http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ on 11/24/2007.
It seems that you forgot a part of the tutorial rules, as they are expressed here : http://forums.xisto.com/topic/6-forum/
3. The Tutorials must be written in your own language. This is perhaps the MOST IMPORTANT rule of all. They should not be copied off another site (Plagiarism) and directly pasted here. Plagiarism can lead to a BAN.

Did you notice the quotes I put here above ?
I put the quotes because I did not write this sentences. Posting copied text is not strictly forbidden, simply you have to put between quotes (just like I did it) and mention where the text is coming from.
I put the quotes on your text today. Please do the quoting by yourself next time you post copied text. This is simply honesty, or politeness toward the text's author. If you don't do this, we could imagine that you are trying to cheat with the hosting credit system, which makes the admins around here rather mad. mad.gif
Regards
Yordan

Hey Yordan, I know all about copyright and i never done such a thing. It's my tutorial and I posted on LG long time ago. Please investigate before you acuse someone for plagiate. If you are still not convinced it is my tutorial than tell me your username on LG and i'll pm you to proove. I think i deserve some excuses.

It's my tutorial and I posted on LG long time ago. Please investigate before you acuse someone for plagiate. If you are still not convinced it is my tutorial than tell me your username on LG and i'll pm you to proove. I think i deserve some excuses.

OK, I know that you are on LG, and you know I am too.The point is that, in Xisto tutorial section, you can only post new tutorials. You have to quote old tutorials, specifying where they come from.
If the tutorial is written by another guy, you have to quote the other guy's text.
If you wrote the tutorial, you have to quote yourself.
The tutorial was posted last year (11/24/2007), it has to be quoted.
We give a lot of credits in the tutorial section. The only condition is that Xisto must be the first site where it's posted. If it has already been published somewhere else, we are not interested.
It's the same problem as for novel makers. Once you have written a nice story, an interesting novel, which has been published and a lot of people have read it, nobody else will give you money for the same text, they will want a new text, for instance the next adventures of the same people or something else which is new.
Sorry, but this is a non-negociatable rule. Of course, I apply it to myself too, and I don't post here the tutorials I made on other technical sites.
Regards
Yordan

OK, I know that you are on LG, and you know I am too.The point is that, in Xisto tutorial section, you can only post new tutorials. You have to quote old tutorials, specifying where they come from.
If the tutorial is written by another guy, you have to quote the other guy's text.
If you wrote the tutorial, you have to quote yourself.
The tutorial was posted last year (11/24/2007), it has to be quoted.
We give a lot of credits in the tutorial section. The only condition is that Xisto must be the first site where it's posted. If it has already been published somewhere else, we are not interested.
It's the same problem as for novel makers. Once you have written a nice story, an interesting novel, which has been published and a lot of people have read it, nobody else will give you money for the same text, they will want a new text, for instance the next adventures of the same people or something else which is new.
Sorry, but this is a non-negociatable rule. Of course, I apply it to myself too, and I don't post here the tutorials I made on other technical sites.
Regards
Yordan

Yet again i still don't see why i still have my warning? The rules doesn't state anything about re-posting old tutorials.
I even stated in the first part of the tutorial that i re-posted this "well this is an old tut. i have on a forum now i'm going to bring this in here ..."
And as you can see re-posting this thread was a good idea, some of the members find this really useful, if you want us not to re-post a tutorial without the quote then make it a rule and don't give warnings from a rule you have only in your head....
Edited by allstars (see edit history)

I tend to agree.Not wanting to make trouble versus moderators etc, but come on... this tutorial was written and submitted by the author. He want's points and has submitted something of his own work to earn them. I'm currently writing a tutorial at the moment, to do with some cutting edge (latest features) in a certain program. I will be posting the tutorial on Xisto, but also, I want to get appreciation by posting it to the forums of that software. If it happens to be spotted by zealous moderators because it get put online there first... is that really breaking the rules?

I tend to agree.
Not wanting to make trouble versus moderators etc, but come on... this tutorial was written and submitted by the author. He want's points and has submitted something of his own work to earn them. I'm currently writing a tutorial at the moment, to do with some cutting edge (latest features) in a certain program. I will be posting the tutorial on Xisto, but also, I want to get appreciation by posting it to the forums of that software. If it happens to be spotted by zealous moderators because it get put online there first... is that really breaking the rules?

Your post has to be posted at Xisto first. If it has already been posted somewhere else, don't post it here, or quote yourself.
A topic from last year somewhere else cannot be considered as an original topic today here.
Besides that, if you are able writing a ten pages tutorial last year, you can without problem write another one on another subject today. But don't wake up old news as if they are brand new infos.

Thank you for bringing it here. I am learning to use GIMP as an alternative for Photoshop since I am on a different computer.I must admit GIMP makes creating things much easier.Whereas Photoshop supplies editing skills and properties.

I am learning to use GIMP as an alternative for Photoshop since I am on a different computer.

There is a standalone version of Gimp (no need for installing, nothing in the Windows registry). I appreciate this a lot. You can put it on a USB flashdisk, so you carry on your images as well as your software and all your settings. This is very useful when you switch from one computer to another one.

There is a standalone version of Gimp (no need for installing, nothing in the Windows registry). I appreciate this a lot. You can put it on a USB flashdisk, so you carry on your images as well as your software and all your settings. This is very useful when you switch from one computer to another one.

Could you be more specific? Gimp is here, the download page for the Windows version is here, but the name of the file is gimp..setup.exe so it looks like a Windows installer, though the download page does not say. Actually, the page title is Gimp - Windows installers, so I guess it really does say!

I also tried a Google search on "standalone version of gimp" (without the quotes), and didn't find anything useful. So, yordan, could you please be more specific about where to find the standalone version?

Thanks! ;)

docduke

When I forgot the address of the portable tools, I type "portable putty" in Google.
Generally speaking, the standalone applications are here : http://portableapps.com/
My favorite ones are puttyportable and FileZillaportable.
When I do some Unix work on a Windows system, I also love the portable version of NotePad++
And I appreciate Pidgin Portable, because it has all my settings ready to be used, and it's able of talking both with my MSN and my gmail contacts (it asks me two passwords because of privacy when I forget my flashkey in a system).
More specifically, the standalone version for gimp is here : http://portableapps.com/apps/graphics_pictures/gimp_portable
I also appreciate ClamWin portable, here : http://portableapps.com/apps/security/clamwin_portable , you put it on your USB flashdisk, and you run it directly from the flashdisk, very useful for scanning the files you just put on your flashdisk from a collegue whose PC is presumably not so secure.

Great! I'm certainly glad I asked! Your comment about ClamWin is an very valuable. I have always been concerned about sticking a USB drive into an unknown computer, and getting back more than I wanted.

Do you know anyone who has tried Mac-on-a-Stick? Can we really run Mac software without careful tuning on a PC? Does it require Mac-formatted drives, or can it read FAT and NTFS files?

This is the first time I have seen something that doesn't claim it takes lots of hard work, like this: Run Mac OS X on a PC, which says it's hard, and many drivers aren't available; and Build a Hackintosh Mac for Under $800, which starts with PC hardware and customizes it to run OS-X.

Windows is clearly designed to force software to get attached to a specific computer and operating system in a way that prevents its portability. It is really nice to see that many useful portable programs have been collected in one place.

Thanks! ;)

docduke

Whoah - that clamwin is definitely timely yordan! I already know about live CD's, USB installs of Linux etc, but this is different isn't it? I mean... native working apps to bring to people with, Windows, to run on Windows?

This is very timely for me because someone asked me to analyse their computer yesterday (will be calling today) as they have had virus issues... and my big box isn't feeling up to being lugged around anymore. Now it looks like I won't have to pull their hard drive out and take it home, making a mission and a half to see what they might have caught.

....cheers for the headsup! ;)

Edit: Hang on... looks like this might be a USB distro. I see it has a "setup.exe"... does it run within Windows? Can I run it in my friends computer with no install?

Edited by Lancer (see edit history)