xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tansqrx

Yahoo! Messenger Talking To Google Talk?

While Yahoo! was off fighting Microsoft, they made some deals with Google to put a slightly tainted taste into the merger deal. The most notable one was an ad revenue “trial” where Google would serve the ads on Yahoo! pages in return for a very favorable share of the profit. Over the past week it appears that the trials were very successful and Yahoo! has agreed to a more permanent deal with Google that would continue the deal, pending any anti-trust issues. Mixed up in this agreement is a paragraph that indicates future interoperability between the two IM platforms (https://www.cnet.com/news/google-yahoo-deal-good-news-for-im-but/) (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) (http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB121366428372879463). In short you may be talking to Google Talk users using Yahoo! Messenger in the future.This will be a great steep towards getting the major players to talk to each other but I’m not sure how Microsoft is going to take this news. Currently Messenger can communicate with MSN users so does this mean that Google Talk users will be able to talk to MSN users? This also opens up the issue of how the two networks will communicate. Google talk uses an open source protocol called XMPP while Yahoo! is closed source.

That's good news. I usually use Yahoo messenger but I also have many friends using Google talk. I've waited this connection for years. Now, my dream comes true. :). I love Yahoo Messenger so much. It's a bit slower than Google talk but I love its theme. Google talk looks a bit boring to me. What's your favorite messenger?

I'm all for it since it may eventually lead to the adoption of the close sourced networks to be open about XMPP. I love the XMPP protocol and hope it will become widespread in the not too distant future.xboxrulz

I'm all for it since it may eventually lead to the adoption of the close sourced networks to be open about XMPP. I love the XMPP protocol and hope it will become widespread in the not too distant future.
xboxrulz

Hope so! XMPP should become a standard. Conforming to standard should be a must for the open web 2.0. The story of IM application will be the same as that of the browsers. Now, Firefox, Safari and many other browsers but IE now support many standard of W3C. I hate the uncompatible mode, especially in coding.

Open standards are a good thing, but my favourite messenger application is still Windows Live Messenger. This is because almost all of my friends use the Windows Live network. In fact, I have 0 people on Google and 1 friend on Yahoo! Messenger. But still, compatibility is good. If only everyone would use the same instant messenging service...it would be easier to communicate online.

Open standards are a good thing, but my favourite messenger application is still Windows Live Messenger. This is because almost all of my friends use the Windows Live network. In fact, I have 0 people on Google and 1 friend on Yahoo! Messenger.
But still, compatibility is good. If only everyone would use the same instant messenging service...it would be easier to communicate online.

I love google talk and Yahoo messanger, both are the best messangers. There are lot of features and easy to use features.