xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Miles

Un Advises Uk To Abolish Monarchy Overstepping the mark?

The UN Human Rights Council said the UK must "consider holding a referendum on the desirability or otherwise of a written constitution, preferably republican".
The council has 29 members including Saudi Arabia, Cuba and Sri Lanka.

It was the Sri Lankan envoy who raised concerns over the British monarchy.

The resulting report said Britain should have a referendum on the monarchy and the need for a written constitution with a bill of rights.

The monarchy costs each adult in Britain around 62p a year but even groups representing taxpayers said there was no case for getting rid of it.

Matthew Elliott, chief executive of the TaxPayers' Alliance, said: "With so many human rights abuses around the world the UN should be busy reporting on issues of starvation, execution and the denial of the vote to huge numbers of people around the world.

"Saudi Arabia and Cuba should pay a little more attention to their own human rights record."

The UN report was also critical of the UK's treatment of immigrants from Sudan.

Syrian representatives accused the UK of discriminating against Muslims and Iran complained about the UK's record on tackling sexual discrimination.

A royal source said: "People here certainly haven't detected any appetite for a referendum. The Queen is a focus for national unity, identity and pride."

From the telegraph. I find it rather hard to believe that the UN is concerned about our monarchy. Strangely enough, Saudia Arabia has a monarchy themselves, and their one is an absolute monarchy, completely different to britain's monarch, who is essentially a figurehead without real power. I don't see how it concerns the UN. If anything, it shows that they are becoming useless. I think that this shows that the UN are no longer being of much use to the countries of it. I think that the British ambassador to the UN should repeat Oliver Cromwells words to the rump parliament; "You have sat too long for any good you have been doing! Depart, I say; and let us have done with you! In the name of God, go!".

More proof of how the U.N continues to wallow in their own uselessness. The"Human Rights Council" is an absolute joke. It is kind of like asking a cockroach and a mouse for pest control tips.

While I'm in full support of the notion that the monarchy have no real functional purpose, being British I see no problem in us doing things the British way. If we didn't want a monarchy or were so opposed to the taxes involved then we'd have spoken up against it. Compare 62p per year per adult to the amount that actually equates to. Say there are 40m adults in Britain (a complete estimate on my part, there could well be more or less), that gives £24,800,000 per year. £25m (rounded) from the whole country to keep our national heritage? I'm not normally one for that sort of thing, but I'm not opposed to it.As for "a written constitution, preferably republican", as Miles pointed out we're not the only monarchy there, nor does our one have any real power as such. I think of them as the face of our country, a bit of advertising or whatever. I'm not up to date on the whole idea of constitutions and whatnot, but again: I've never even heard suggestion that the British are unhappy with the way things are. In oppressed countries I can vaguely understand the need to take action because of the voice of the people being silent, but as Britain doesn't fall in to that category surely we're entitled to come up with our own system of leadership and constitutional rights, yadda yadda yadda?

Well, whats the problem with Monarchy? Besides, not only United Kingdom has a Queen, King, Prince etc. a Royal family, other countries also have it as I know, Denmark?, Sweden? ... or they don't really do anything there.. Also UK stands for United Kingdom, the word Kingdom refers to something like Monarchy :)