xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kopman9

Dual Boot How To

I have XP on my system and I want it to dual boot with vista. I sorta know the basics, however my HD already has a partition. I know you have to partition the HD one for xp and one for vista, what I want to know is, is there any way of RE-partitioning my HD with out completly reformating. Cheers

Partitioning should never could loss of data. Anyways, you get a partition program, resize your main partition to about half it's original size, and create a new NTSF or FAT32 partition in the newly freed space. Install windows vista, and specify the new partition as where it should be installed.Not very hard at all.

You don't even need to get a program to re-partition your hard disk, the windows vista installer has a utility that can resize partitions (at last :( )

I heard that you cannot reformat a Vista hard drive without it seeing duplicate serial. I do have this laptop running Vista, but I have not reformatted this like I have my XP PC. I heard that Microsoft will already recognize the used serial code, and it would not let the reformat be legal...Anyways, working with dual booting, the recovery and startup disk should suffice when partitioning... whether using reformat or Admin Tools.

Formatting is legal as long as you reactivate it with Microsoft again. As for partitioning, you should have defragmented your filesystem before you partitioned it. The reason for the data loss is that some of the data went to the other partition and was formatted. It happens when you don't defrag the drive.xboxrulz