xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
LegallyHigh

How To Drive Traffic To A Forum

What is the best way to Drive Traffic to a Forum, and Get users to actually Register? Are there any Forum Specific Directories or Search Engines I should submit my Forum too, or should I just submit my Forum to the regular Directories and search engines? Also, I was reading an article on Google that says I should create Multiple accounts on the Forum for myself, and use them to get the Forum started, is this a good idea?

Firstly, take a look at some active message boards. Chances are they are all going to have something in common. That thing in common is that those who belong to message board have something in common to discuss in the first place. In example a previous free web host I used had a post for host system in which the hosting was a straight post count per month system. The host had the board set up with an area for nearly every possible interest. There were too many actually. the result was that there was little conversation and very little, aside from the wanting hosting, in common amongst the user base. Now, to look at some other message boards they typically all have a common thread. Even moderately successful web comics tend to have decently active boards (if they have them). Because all the members have something in common in that they read the same comic. Additionally if the comic updates fairly regularly then consistently something new for the users to comment to comment upon. Thusly it seems that a commonality among users and new material on the main site seems to drive and maintain most the message boards I am familiar with.

Alright, so by limiting the amount of topics there will be more conversation. I will try and Create more general topics and only use Subtopics if things become to dense for one topic alone. Thank you for the advice, sir.

Wait, also, do you know of any places you can specifically submit forums, such as a Forum Search Engine, or a Forum Directory. I ask this because I know when I had a blog there were many Blog Directories I could submit it to to get a good amount of traffic.