xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Miles

Css Workshop

Posted Image

I decided CSS tutorials by me would be interesting. This is the first part of the tutorial, in this, I will be posting some basic information on CSS Syntax, and of course a "Hello World" example to get readers started on CSS.

But first, a quick introduction. HTML Tags, like <h1>, <table>, and <p>, were originally meant for showing content on a web page. Back in the days of pre-html 3.2, layouts were dynamically made by the browser and contained nothing but a white background and centred text. Soon though, owners of websites wanted to do the layout themselves. Soon, Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator, the leading browsers of the time, added more tags like <font> onto the original specification of HTML. Because all browsers had different supported tags, there were no standards and pages would almost certainly look incorrect in different browsers. The World Wide Web Consortium, referred to as W3C from now on, created Styles in addition to HTML 4.0 itself.

Now for some actual learning.

Here is the syntax of CSS which I shall describe:

selector {property: value;}

The selector controls what HTML tag will be affected, or what DIV class will be affected. The property controls what in the tag will be changed, for instance color as a property sets the text colour. Value is the value of the property you want, like red in the case of the colour property. A quick example:

body {color: blue;}

The above code would change the colour of text in a web page to blue.

Of course, you'll probably be wondering how you can use CSS in a web page. I provide you below the coding you'll need

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ Workshop 1</TITLE><STYLE>  #CSS GOES HERE#</STYLE><BODY>#MAIN CONTENT GOES HERE#</BODY></HTML>

More coming soon!