xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
morphious69

Replicator Technology Ideas and questions...Would a how to on CNC equipment be used here?

Hello, The topic here is the building of self replicating (and manufacturing) equipment. Firstly I would like to know if a How-To would be used or wanted on building and using such equipment?Secondly I would like to discuss the pros and cons of this equipment i.e. impact on environment, economy and so forth.I personally love this sort of technology and have build several machines from scratch. Also if you have used a CNC based machine what software did you use for it. Please include all of it too from cad and cam to actual G-code interpretor. I personally have used lightwave to plot co-ordinates for 3D parts and CorelDraw for 2D parts then used notepad to write directly as well as Ace to convert the Autocad files that both create to generate G-code as well. I am currently learning how to use SolidWorks and MastercamX in hopes to speed up my designing. also lastly my interpretor is TurboCNC. If anyone wants links to the web sites I will edit this and add them later or I will just include them in any tutorials I write should that be desired.also one final note: What problems with the programs have you encountered? Personally I noticed that an object broken up in CorelDraw will have problems in the DXF it outputs and I have to import the DXF and measure the deviations to modify the original vector file and reoutput it to fix them. pretty much another reason for upgrading to a different method of designing my parts to be made on my CNC equipment. Also there is a group that has been designing a device called RapRep short for rapid replication device. not in my book the best design but there is invaluable data on building injection equipment with a more diverse use than just as the basic mold injection system.lastly anything that can manufacture a part and is controlled by a computer system of some sort is what is being discussed here so dont rule it out if it does not make metal parts or plastic parts or what ever and fully functional robotic assembly is the final solution. not just make the parts and then people have to assemble them but all steps. I currntly have a PCB (Printed Circuit Board) machine I am designing that uses DVD burning laser diodes and acid etching to complete the entire process (just stick in the copper clad board and out the other side comes a finished predrilled board) and after building it I want to build one that actually places componets and solders them in place so discussions on alternate methods of assembly would be cool here too. (spray on conductive materials vs. solder and such)