xisto Community
Lady Seluna

Religious Tolerance (-or Lack Of)

Currently I am athiest and dont believe in a particular religion. I agree with you that religious tolerance has decreased in recent years, especially with the whole 'terroism' issue which people immediately associated with Muslims. Muslims on the whole are a good group of people, it is just the very few who twist their beliefs into extremism and are taught to hate anyone that does not agree with them who are giving the religion a bad name.I am respect people's beliefs as long as they do not try and force me into believing the same things they do.

I would consider myself an atheist but I am increasingly questioning that view. However, irrespective of any religious beliefs of my own I would have to say that there should be both inter- and intra- religious tolerance for the benefit of all in society. Intolerance of atheism is religious intolerance none the less.

There's nothing hard about accepting a religion. It's just that some people are too fanatical and believe you need to be their religion. Another problem is the religious actions they make. The terrorists that attacked the US on 9/11/2001 were doing it supposedly for religion. We don't approve of that. I think you can make up anything as a religion, and I'll tolerate it, as long as it doesn't involve killing people. That is immoral, regardless of religion.

please what happned in the 2001 is not because of the religion ,ben laden is a criminal hiding his ugly face behind the mask of the religion the suicide is forbbiden in the islam (i'm muslim)

The Constitution of India has the feature of Secularism contained in it, i.e.there is no official religion of the state. To be more precise, if any individual decides to follow a particular religion, he/she should be allowed to do so and no force can stop them. The reality is quite on the contrary, there have been communal riots of massive magnitude in the country where innumerable people lost their lives irrespective of the era anyone lives in. We as Indians, are supposed to follow the religion that our ancestors followed or at least what our parents follow. I can bet on the fact that so many of us are not aware of the significance of the religious customs that they are made to follow. Besides our own religion, if we manage to acquire knowledge on any other religion, and thereby express our interest in it, then it amounts to blasphemy. So, it can be concluded that knowledge or consciousness is not a requisite for religion to be followed , it is just the fact that our family wants us to follow a certain religion and we are expected to agree. Can any one of you find even a tinge of religious tolerance in these cases? Even when secularism is supposed to be infused within all the citizens of the country. All the religious communities express their disbelief in the other religions and the younger lot grow up watching these intolerance.With the spread of education and progressive thinking,the upcoming generations are trying the evil of intolerance, viewing this as a step of a new age of consciousness and communal harmony, I really hope that the factor of religious tolerance gets instilled in the hearts of all the Indians and we successfully implement the cause of secularism in the country.