xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
malloc

Tata Nano: The World’s Cheapest Car.......

Posted Image

The much awaited Tata small car, which is giving sleepless nights to its rivals, was finally unveiled at the Auto Expo 2008. The small car, which is priced at Rs100, 000 (2,500 dollars), has been named Nano. According to the Tata Motors, the Nano will hit the Indian roads later this year. Ever since the Tatas announced their intention of developing the 1 lakh car (touted as people’s car), the auto industry experts have been raising doubts over the price, features, safety and specifications of Tata Nano. Have a look at specifications and other aspects of the Tata Nano, the four door mini-hatchback.

Posted Image

Looks & Dimensions of Nano: Keeping in mind the young age group, the Tata Motors has strived well to give the Nano a contemporary and stylish look. The snub-nosed small car derives inspiration from Fiat 500 and Nissan Micra. As far as dimensions of the car are concerned, Nano is 3.1 metres (10.23 feet) long, 1.5 metres wide and 1.6 metres high and can accommodate four to five people.

Engine: The small car sports a two cylinder 623 cc, 33 horsepower rear mounted multi-point fuel injection (MPFi) petrol engine. Tata claims that the car can touch the top speed of 105 kms.

Fuel Efficiency: Engineers at Tata Motors have designed an efficient engine that can run 20 Kms on every litre of petrol.

Pollution: Against the criticism and concerns of the environmentalists, Nano surpasses Indian regulatory requirements and Euro IV emission norms. In fact, Tata claims that the small car is less polluting than most of the bikes on Indian roads.

Safety: Tata says that they have tested the small car extensively for front, rear and side collisions and come out with a product that exceeds current regulatory requirements. The safety features of the Nano include a strong passenger compartment, intrusion resistant doors, seat belts, sturdy seats and anchorage.

Price: The base model of the car will sport a price tag of Rs 100,000 (2,500 dollars) which excludes taxes and transport costs. The high end/deluxe models will include air-conditioning and other features to be incorporated based on suggestions of the common people.

Source: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I think that car is unsafe due to it's non-rigid shape.If it crashes, it will roll over and leave the passengers in a mess.

That's what I think. =]

I think the Tata Nano has two sides.. good and bad..
the good being - its really cheap allowing more number of people to enjoy the luxury and safety of a car.

the bad - since its so cheap the number of cars on roads might possibly increase and since there are places in the world where the road systems are not that efficient, it might cause problems like congestion and pollution.

i guess its the price mankind pays of advancement, i only wish people use this 'boon' to human society wisely...
Also i hope Tata's concept of a compressed air powered car unveils itself soon

Regards to all..

65MPH? That's not exactly high speed. I'm pretty sure people can touch 70MPH on the motorway. I had a look at the specifications, aside from the low speed it seems pretty good. 56 Miles to a (British) Gallon is a good figure for fuel effiancy, and it seems to be able to speed up in a relatively small amount of time, especially considering the size. And the cost is amazing. I have never seen a car before that was new and would cost less than £1500, unless it was sold before inflation decreased value.

i think for 2500 $ is not a very bad car ...''Tata says the Nano already has passed India's full-frontal crash tests and is designed to meet international offset and side-impact crash tests. It has no airbags, but Ratan Tata said they could be added for markets outside India.'' and it`s almost safe to drive...personal i will never pay 2500$ for this car but for a person that don`t have 15000-20000$ for a real :) car i think is very good tata nano :)

Safety: Tata says that they have tested the small car extensively for front, rear and side collisions and come out with a product that exceeds current regulatory requirements. The safety features of the Nano include a strong passenger compartment, intrusion resistant doors, seat belts, sturdy seats and anchorage.

OMG!!!! This is a joke, right? It sure will be good for the environment, as it'll only take one good collision to kill the occupants!!!
I can't possibly see how something like that could stand a head on collision with a 4WD, or heaven forbid, a semi-trailer.
You'd be picking the pieces of metal out of the road.

ok you are right but i was reffered to the people who don`t have 10000 $ or 15000 $ to buy a good car or very good car.look at this:''The People’s Car’s safety performance exceeds current regulatory requirements. With an all sheet-metal body, it has a strong passenger compartment, with safety features such as crumple zones, intrusion-resistant doors, seat belts, strong seats and anchorages, and the rear tailgate glass bonded to the body. Tubeless tyres further enhance safety''Any of this is lies? of course if is an accident with an 4x4 car i don`t thing that TATA NANO survive but thing that you can not do an accident all your life and for a city car is thery good and is small ...i go to school in bucharest the capital of Romania and in this city the traffic is very hight and a car like this change your life don`t you thing?

Okay guyz, now I will give you some real fact.

I live in Mumbai, India. (also known as Bombay)

Short introduction to my city.

Mumbai (Marathi: मुंबई Mumbaī, IPA:/ˈmumbəi/ (help·info)), formerly Bombay, is the capital of the Indian state of Maharashtra. With an estimated population of thirteen million, it is the most populous city in India and the world.[1]Along with the neighbouring suburbs of Navi Mumbai and Thane, it also forms, at 19 million, the world's fifth most populous metropolitan area. Mumbai lies on the west coast of India and has a deep natural harbour. Its port handles over half of India's seagoing passenger traffic and a large proportion of her maritime cargo.[2]

This is what RUNS in my City as local public transport.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_rickshaw

I look forward for the day when NANO will replace these and why?

Auto Rickshaw:

Costs about 3125 USD Brand New. - Nano Costs 2500 USD

Auto is 2 Stroke. People abuse it and put whatever cheap fuel they get.

Causes Big time pollution. [biggest hate factor]

Due to its design, the drivers are not keen on following traffic rules.

They are quiet hated by most in Bombay.

The design as you see is open and creates inconvenience during monsoon and its no where comfortable.

I do have to agree, after my rant about a lack of safety :). In a big city scenario, this would be an advantage. I can't say that I live in a large city, but I can see how this could only be an improvement on a auto-rickshaw. The thing that I find myself pondering is what might the impact of this cheap car be? If we introduce cheap cars like this, might they replace the rickshaws, but since they are cheaper and 'cleaner' might they also add even more vehicles to the roads. In turn might this make the roads more crowded, perhaps together add even more pollution than before, and in general have a negative effect? This is only speculation on my part with no actually proof, but these are the sums that need to be done in order to take a sale gimmick and give it some real substance.Cheers,Hoopa

I think that making electric cars or even hybrid cars is a cool idea... I don't know if I am really stubborn or not, but I don't see purchasing any of them too much in the near future, (even though my wife raves about them!)I think it would be a nice little car to drive around in, until you get on a freeway and get blown off the highway by a big tractor trailer! But I do have to admirer car makers nowadays. To try something different than what is on the road now, I would have to say would be a difficult thing.I would like to think maybe my daughters and my son when they get older could reap the benefits of owning a car like that, seeing that maybe by the time they get their first car, maybe many in their generation will be more likely to try new technology. But right now, there are many generations ahead who are still driving old school and even bigger muscle cars... I don't think all of the world is ready for important breakthroughs for the road.We can only hope that something like this takes off well in the future, but I personally think it needs to be a little more 'beefed' up for me to start taking it more serious.

Which is better for the environment? If the car is the same size, is it better for the environment if the car runs on electricity, or on petrol? I'd have to say electricity would still win hands down, but some of our methods of generating electricity are questionable. There was show about elcric cars on tv today, and a very valid point was raised when it came to manufacturers adopting the new technology. An electric car has far fewer moving parts than a conventional car, and I would suspect that a great deal of revenue is generated from spare car parts (perhaps more than the cars themselves?)Cheers,Hoopa

inquryTata Nano:Dear sir,
 I need to import (100 tata nano car full options)to iraq.Please need to know its price CIF dubuiBest 

regardsMohammad T salih 

-question by mohammad T salih

When will SA with its overpricing see the cheaper NanoTata Nano:

Hi 

I drive a Indica. To me a great car even repair wise  comparing some new cars on the market. I would be excited to see the Nano comes to South Africa and what will it cost as dealers are keeping prices very high here.

Maybe for once I might afford a sort of new car. Money is always a problem as we are not all politicians 

I am also looking for a pdf. Version of a Tato Indica workshop manual. Any recommendations. I would appreciate it.

-reply by Richard Hansen

feedback for Tata NanoTata Nano:

Sir,

I have already booked a Nano which is to be delivered in July,2010. I was thinking to cancel the booking as it will be difficult to steer for my sister as it has no power steering. Please advice me whether I should retain the booking or cancel it. 

Thanking You in Advance

Prateek Kaura

-reply by Prateek Kaura