xisto Community
kxrain

I Hear A Sound Inside My System Unit. Somethings wrong with my pc.

Hello people when I turn on my computer it went good but when I open firefox I hear a sound i think it came from my hd. Its like reading a cd in your cd-rom just like that sound I hear. Any idea about this??

Is it some clicking sound, consistent one. Like once every 2 second? If you're using WinXP, goto Control Panel\Aministrative Tools\Event Viewer. Look for "Source" with the word "disk", and Type = Warning. Double click, then you should see under the description something like "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\C during a paging operation."If that's the case your hard disk has one or more bad sectors. The clicking sound is from the hard disk head reseting to home position because it fail to read the data at that particular sectors.So, you better backup all your important data, then if the hard disk or computer still under warranty, send it. If not, get a new hard disk and replace it. You can use checkdisk or scandisk to fix the bad sector, but before you do so, you should backup first. Usually after fixing, it got worse. And fixing it doesn't mean it won't come again, it just mark that portion as bad, so it won't look at that location again, but it tends to propagate. Best solution is to change it.

Check if there are loosen screws inside the system. Screws might be tight enough to hold the devices for a long time. for example, hard disks vibrate hard and fast each time you use your computer, cooling fans vibrate too.

i had a cooling fan that was rattling around inside my case once, drove me crazy! as rockershive said, just open up the case and just check everything, grad a screwdriver and tighten up everything, make sure everythigs in the right place.

Its just the sound of reading a harddisk. You must have gotten those harddisk with loud reading speed from seagate. There's no problem with you harddisk. If you want to be safe. Do a chkdsk in command prompt and check for bad sector. Chances are your harddisk is fine. Solution will be change a new harddisk from hitachi. Those are pretty silent. Tested and proven. Encounter such a sound in my new laptop too. ^_^

I had that sound before, if I know what you are referring to. Turns out I had to tap the computer a few times and it disappeared. Usually happens more when booting into Linux though.Also, check if there are any CDs in the drive that may be reading by Windows. Does the sound occur only when you use Firefox, or does it occur with any other software?

i also have this problem in my harddisk sometimes when i turn on my computer it didnt detect my harddisk and it say please check a proper device something like that.

Did you heard that sound before this or it just happen lately? From what you mentioned, it seems like chances are your hard disk is dying. Anyway, you should also check the fan and screw like others have mentioned above, just to be sure

Hi.......I too have had this since the time I brought my PC. I have a seagate hdd. They are a little noisy. For me this is not just for FF. Other big applications too generate that sound. You must have added quiet a lot of extensions to your FF. ;-)..............But if this is a problem that has suddenly cropped up, and your hdd is more than 3 yrs old, there is a chance that its dying. HDDs are very cheap nowadays, so think of upgrading. Latest Seagates are much quieter. They run on fluid bearings rather than the balls of olden days!Samsung drives too make some noise. My Hitachi 2.5" drive too makes noise.................I am yet to find a hdd that is really quiet!!!!!!!!!Cheers!