xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
NintendoWii

A Very Important Security Question.

Lavasoft Ad-Aware is pretty good, and freeware. Of course there are other good ones, and possibly even better, but Ad-Aware is one of the more widespread ones.

I personally recommend Spybot (https://www.safer-networking.org/). The issue of needing a spyware program is a complicated one. If you think that you need an antivirus program then you mostly likely need a spyware scanner. Some of the most respected security professionals never run antivirus because it slows down their system so much. It has been years since I have seen a virus or even spyware on my system so I would consider myself to be at low risk also but I still run both for the just in case factor.In my opinion some of the most useful features of Spybot are not in the scanner itself. I always keep the immunize feature up to date which actively blocks known malicious web addresses. I also use Tea Timer which alerts me when something wants to modify critical registry entries, specifically the startup registry keys. Spyware will never get a hold in your system if it doesn’t have a place to start from. Tea Timer does throws a lot of pop ups on your screen but I don’t mind. I always read what wants to make the change and make the proper decision. If something ever did get in I know this will be my canary in the coal mine.