xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bostwik

Awardspace

I've been using it for a while, but lately, things have been messing up. It was OK for a while, but most of the time I needed to edit my HTML files right through the site, without changing them on my computer and then re-uploading, so I looked for something different.

i used to use awardspace before i moved to Xisto.ive never really liked it much but it didnt have ads and was reasonable so i used it. i dont like the "zetta" control panel thing. Xisto is so much better.oh and u can make the files and change them on ur computer and then upload them... theres an upload button believe it or not.also, everything u have to pay for except the basic stuff. every new update u have to pay for. also, different servers have different things, so u have to try ur luck to get the best server.another thing, the file manager. theres no like up a directory button or anything. and when u upload something it goes back to the main directory.

Yeah, I know that, that's how I've been doing it.I was just saying that before, I could edit my HTML files right in the file manager, but something messed up, and it didn't let me anymore.Other than the few problems, it's really basic, but I'm sure Xisto is way better.

I remember when I used to use Awardspace--it was really quite annoying. The biggest deal breaker for me was probably that it didn't allow php's mail function, so I couldn't send out any emails. Since the site I was creating depended a lot on email funtionality, I couldn't do without it, and had to actively search for a different host. (and I eventually landed on Xisto :-) )

oh and u can make the files and change them on ur computer and then upload them... theres an upload button believe it or not.

Ah, well, Awardspace does have ftp access, so you can always use that, I suppose. Personally, I find updating things on the web annoying----there's no syntax highlighting--something that I can't live without. In any case, the file manager also messed on me quite a few times--sometimes, for no reason, certain files just wouldn't upload. I wasn't sure what happened, and when I tried a few more times, it worked, so I never complained. But the move to Xisto has still been a good choice. :]

also, everything u have to pay for except the basic stuff. every new update u have to pay for. also, different servers have different things, so u have to try ur luck to get the best server.

I never noticed the issues with the different servers...but the first part is very true. Every little thing requires you to pay for it. It's quite obvious that Awardspace doesn't tell you that PHP runs in safe mode and that the mail function is disabled. I'm sure that would drive a lot of free users away right off. It's those little things that are hidden and really needed...

even if you pay for their service you get alot of downtime and alot of slow loads.there servers are allways laggingfree hosting with them is even worsedatabase support sucksphpmyadmin takes forever to load one page. even with no tablesnow populate your database and be prepared to wait for hoursnothing good to say about them cause they suck

great...I ve just learnt about PHP, because i wanted to create a formulary.I ve followed tutorials on the net,then i found out my dsl provider ftp dont give me php.So i decided to sign up for free hostings... like AWARDSPACE.I ve been searching for long before i eventually found outmail() function doesn't work...great...I'ts written nowhere..what a waste of time really!

I used awardspace once when I was looking for a host, a few months before moving to Xisto. It was ok as an intermediate after my forum was hacked whilst preparing the Xisto version, but that was about all. It's not the worst free host, but it isn't all that good either, I'd rank it 5.5/10.