xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
readme123456

Learning Php/sql Basics Want to learn CSS, PHP and create a website

I've installed xampp lite, had problems with it, like Apache and MySQL services going off/on all the time.

Then I installed regular xampp, MySQL is working with my queries in mysql.exe console. Now I have new questions:

Why does xampp_start.exe tell me that 'Apache+MySQL starting now' - what part of MySQL starts at this point, if I am able to work with databases at any time, even before I start these services?

How can I get the index.html or index.php page to display when I go to LOCALHOST? Right now it jumps to LOCALHOST/xampp/ with the navigation page.

Why do I get

This is a test using the first tag type.

"; ?>

as a page for this code

<?phpecho "<P>This is a test using the first tag type.</P>";?>
?

It doesn't even seem like PHP is not configured, since it is actually displaying some text.

Thanks

Edited by readme123456 (see edit history)

I've installed xampp lite, had problems with it, like Apache and MySQL services going off/on all the time.

Then I installed regular xampp, MySQL is working with my queries in mysql.exe console. Now I have new questions:

Why does xampp_start.exe tell me that 'Apache+MySQL starting now' - what part of MySQL starts at this point, if I am able to work with databases at any time, even before I start these services?

It should be stating that its RUNNING. If you can query your MySQL database, then the service is already started. Its not indicated at the control panel of XAMPP and yet your can access the database might due to starting of service during installation. And not updating in control panel of XAMPP. Restart your computer and it should be fine. When you installed the XAMPP, it will install apache webserver, MySQL to windows services. So upon startup of windows, it should start too.

How can I get the index.html or index.php page to display when I go to LOCALHOST? Right now it jumps to LOCALHOST/xampp/ with the navigation page.

Why do I get

This is a test using the first tag type.

"; ?>

as a page for this code

<?phpecho "<P>This is a test using the first tag type.</P>";?>
?

It doesn't even seem like PHP is not configured, since it is actually displaying some text.

Thanks

In the directory of xampp, there should be a folder named htdoc. Create a new folder in there, eg. myweb. Then put the index.php file in that directory myweb. To access your index.php page. Url should be LOCALHOST/myweb/index.php. There you should be able to access your page. As for why you are getting that extra text/codes, Its weird. Tested it in my local server and it work just fine. You try to do the myweb example and try putting your code in. I'm pretty sure it should work.

Cheers