xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
vujsa

Php Designer 2005 Should I Upgrade?

I've started using PHP Designer 2005 recently but am having trouble getting used to it. Until then, I just used CuteHTML which wasn't very powerful but was easy to use. Since it was designed to edit HTML, it always wanted to save or open files as HTML. Got a little frustrating always having to select the "All Files" option on the file browser window. However, I really like the program and have gotten used to using it's features.

What I really wanted was a program that will colorize syntax based on the type of language I am using, built in FTP, and a more powerful search and replace function. While all I really need is a program that shows me line numbers and a basic search and replace feature, I want to make programing a lot easier for my self. I downloaded PHP Designer 2005 when it was new. I ran it that day of course but quickly realized that I preferred CuteHTML. At the time it didn't make much sense to me why some of the features were included. For example, why would you use the "function" insert feature. All it does is input the following:

function{}
Seems to me that it would make sense for it to request the function's name and any parameter you wish to include. But there are a few handy items built into the program like the ability to organize your project files. However, it doesn't make sense that you have to manually add folders if your file structure is already in place. It seems like you should be able to import an entire file structure and that you should be able to save the entire project and all of the files would be saved in their correct folders etc...

Another issue I have with this program is the FTP feature. I don't understand why it is so hard to upload. There isn't a drag and drop feature and again, you can't manipulate entire folders! You have to have the folders already on the server or create them before you can upload to them. My regular FTP client you can upload an entire website by just dragging the top level folder over to the server. Seems like a file sync feature is what this program really needs but they didn't ask me.

I am getting used to using the program and that there are a lot of useful features like a built in PHP help system, a debugger, and an output display. However, you have to install PHP, PHP Help File, MySQL, and probably Apache for this to be used. Any other web services you wish to use in your project will also need to be installed for debugging and output display.

It is really nice having your parenthesis, brackets, and curly brackets highlighted together. That way you can always see which if any bracket belongs to the one you selected. Makes finding a missing end bracket simple. The ability to quickly switch between open files is very good and shares that attribute with my other HTML editor. There are a number of features that I am sure I just haven't found yet but I am becoming more familiar every day.

Perhaps when I learn how to fully utilize this software, I'll be as happy with it as I am with CuteHTML. I did go to the website today to check on updates and found that they have two versions now. The professional version promises to be all you'll ever need and more while the personal version is the same with a number of features removed.

So my question is, has anyone used either PHP Designer 2007 Professional or PHP Designer 2007 Personal and are they any good. Is it worth buying the professional version or is the free personal version good enough. The reason I ask is because I am finding that I spend much more time writing PHP code than I used to and the number of requests I am getting for more scripts is increasing all of the time. I think right now, I have 12 or more pending or in development projects. I need software that will help me develop new script more quickly.

Of course, the other question I have is, should I just stick with PHP Designer 2005?

Thanks for your input,

vujsa

I am using the latest version of PHP Designer and I really can say that it got much better in those years since I was using 2005, it was slower at that time, but now I really like it, I just turn of some stuff which bothers me, like auto stuff for writing PHP, maybe when writing something new it is useful, but when editing it is horrible.. yeah, I never really used such things as include a statement function {} but I remember I liked to insert switch statement, it really saved several seconds of programming ;)I used to hate the features when you write something and different windows pop up, I usually knew everything what I wanted, but after sometime I got used to things like when you write a constant or variable, function etc. a list of possible values pops up.. When I try to use some other software to write PHP I comeback to PHP Designer, due to I think I just got used to it and besides it really has a much better highlighter in the current version!Furthermore, I needed/wanted some features so I wrote to the author and on the new release I saw those features, the product is active, maybe a lot of whom bothers that it is written on .NET ;)

thanks very much vujsa.for your efforts and i hope it will help me in designing my website in the future and i knew that javascript is more easy to use and agood designing language so i wanted alittle demand from you it is like that..i need you to make little efforts and make new post that contain what u liked about every designing language and what did u hate in every one of them. that will help every new user to know what is fit for him.i hope i dont disturb you . and thanks very much again..your friend...mshmsh2010..................

I am using the latest version of PHP Designer and I really can say that it got much better in those years since I was using 2005, it was slower at that time, but now I really like it, I just turn of some stuff which bothers me, like auto stuff for writing PHP, maybe when writing something new it is useful, but when editing it is horrible.. yeah, I never really used such things as include a statement function {} but I remember I liked to insert switch statement, it really saved several seconds of programming ;)
I used to hate the features when you write something and different windows pop up, I usually knew everything what I wanted, but after sometime I got used to things like when you write a constant or variable, function etc. a list of possible values pops up.. When I try to use some other software to write PHP I comeback to PHP Designer, due to I think I just got used to it and besides it really has a much better highlighter in the current version!

Furthermore, I needed/wanted some features so I wrote to the author and on the new release I saw those features, the product is active, maybe a lot of whom bothers that it is written on .NET ;)

;)
The related topics lists has your post about PHP Designer 2006 in it. Kind of wish I had done a search now.
http://forums.xisto.com/topic/88099-topic/?findpost=1064334051

Are you using the personal or professional version of 2007?

I think maybe I'll give it a go and see for myself. I hope that the file system and FTP features are more user friendly now.

Thanks for the reply.

mshmsh2010,
I'm guessing that English isn't your native language.
While a website can be written entirely with JavaScript, I do not recommend it! It is about 100 times harder that way and not a standard method of web design. JavaScript should only be used to add a dynamic touch to your website and make it easier for your visitors to use.
Use HTML or XHTML to create your website!

PHP is a powerful scripting language that can be used to generate the required HTML to create a website. It is not an easy undertaking learning and using PHP to develop an entire website but if you are motivated, it is possible.

As for doing a summary and evaluation for each language, I don't know most of them well enough to do such a post and I also don't have the time to tackle such a large endeavor! I can barely keep up with all of the changes with HTML, PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, AJAX, CSS, and XML that I have to work with to maintain my website and develop new scripts.

My suggestion to you, determine which language is the most common and try to learn that. You will always have to know HTML so start with that.

vujsa

vujsa,I moved to Dev-PHP due to it was free and PHP Designer wasn't free anymore, but when downloading trial versions of PHP-Designer, I really liked them and saw the progress, that is why I got the license, err the place where I work got the license to tell the truth ;) ;) The personal version isn't updated to much to use it and it has some terms and conditions too ;)