xisto Community

The basics I learned many years ago from looking at an old book, called the Internet Bible. It covered your simple images, frames, and links, and a little of tables but nothing of css (it was a very old book). More recently, around early 2007 I started to get serious and run my own website and forum. Strangely enough, I learnt PHP far quicker than html, despite what people say that html must be known to do good PHP. I suppose that was because of my experiance in Visual basic 6. Anyways, with PHP I rapidly learnt HTML, mostly out of necessity. First thing I used for making, say, sidebars was an Iframe. After that I started using invisible tables. Only recently did I phase that out of my coding techniques and started using DIVs and CSS.

I didn't take me too long to understand the basics. I learned to understand the basics of it through posting on forums a lot when I was 14/15 years old. BBcode et al.My first experiences with HMTL were with frontpage, so it's probably not the best way to start off, but regardless, I learned a lot from that. I can't sy I learned HTML and now consider myself certified or anything (for as much as anyone COULD, anyway), but I can HTML away in notepad. but like someone else mentioned earlier, when table/div tags kick in, I'd rather head over to dreamweaver and css.

HTML is just a mark-up language and isn't too hard to learn, but it can serve as a decent basis to start looking into low-level, decent programming languages.