xisto Community
vizskywalker

Detect In Software Connected Speakers

I have several devices that produce output sound or input sound. However, I only really have room to set up one set of speakers. Some of these devices are, for example, a PS3, a computer, a webcam, heaphones with a microphone, and my laptop. Now, currently have the wires and adapters to hook any one of these devices up to computer speakers. What I would like to do is be able to hook all of these devices up to one computer with several sound cards and use that computer to mix all the output sound, and send it to speakers. This is the easy bit. The hard bit comes from the fact that I want to hook up headphones to this system occasionally, and when the headphones are hooked up, I want the output to stop going from the speakers but instead to the headphones. The only way I can think of to do this is if I can detect when the headphones are connected. So I was wondering if it is possible to detect when headphones, or speakers, or a microphone, or any device, is connected to specific ports of a sound card, and if so, how to do it. Language isn't important, although I prefer C#, C++, Perl, Assembly, or C. Also, OS isn't important, although Linux and Windows XP are really my only feasible options right now. I may be able to do an OSX setup.~Viz