xisto Community
jimmy89

Purchasing A Laptop - Your Suggestions

Jimmy89:Bigger screen usually require bigger lighting element (florescent tube), thus more power consumption. You need to look at the native resolution of the screen also. Some 15" and 14" will have the same native resolution, say 1024 or 1280, then it serve no purpose to get the 15" other than for bigger font display, normally for shortsighted or for those who're not used to small font. If the 15" comes with higher resolution, then by all means, it's a better choice.

xboxrulz:
"Its performance/watt is not really different than AMD's either." Direct calculation is not very accurate. As i've read some article mentioning about idle power consumption. If your CPU is operating at 100% full throttle all the time, then the performance/watt is applicable. But as normal computing is consuming the cpu at non consistent pattern, and most of the time it's idle, that calculation is not very representative in this sense. The performance/watt is measured at maximum power consumption. It's actually more of a marketing gimmick then an actually technical information.

True.. Why not get a 13" screen which will use lesser power as it requires lesser lighting elements. Hmm. But of course you are fighting against the size of the fonts. :P

Cheers

Well, I won't mind a 13" which can goes up to 1280. Since I've been using 1024 on a 12". And I'm using 6pt font for my Visual Studio and Eclipse to achieve as much real screen estate as possible.

Honestly, if I were you, For using eclipse for coding, I would really like a 17" screen. It is so frustrated to keep scrolling to see the codes although you can use the F3 to look for the method. But 6pt fonts are really tiny. :P

Honestly, if I were you, For using eclipse for coding, I would really like a 17" screen. It is so frustrated to keep scrolling to see the codes although you can use the F3 to look for the method. But 6pt fonts are really tiny. :P

I've a 17" CRT and a 15" LCD for my desktop. I need a 12" laptop for portability.

I think the 15.4" laptop would be a suitable choice for me, as I'm not looking for the portability as much. I have a 17" LCD at home and its great, nice big screen, and with a decent graphics card is lots of fun!

I agree with the screen wide laptops! IF! , your using it for business. But if you are using it for outdoors like going to mountains , well you need the Hard laptops! or famously known us Rugged laptops!

@TheBoutique: Don't use CAPS LOCK unless it's something really important.@faulty.lee, if you have an extra monitor at home just use the external monitor as your primary when you're home and while on the go, use your laptop's LCD monitor. Works both ways, right?xboxrulz

@faulty.lee, if you have an extra monitor at home just use the external monitor as your primary when you're home and while on the go, use your laptop's LCD monitor. Works both ways, right?

Yes, but i don't do that, unless the display is of same resolution. If it's higher, need to adjust the positions when i switch. Also need to plug in another keyboard, since the keyboard won't be right in front of the screen.

I did connect an external monitor as 2nd display when i use my laptop for work and before i got my desktop. Now that i have my desktop, and i do most of my work on it, i don't use external monitor on my laptop already. Now i use my laptop only for field or on site troubleshooting.

One problem i encounter when using my laptop with external monitor to extend my display, not all application support multi-monitor, and some application got stuck at the 2nd display even though i've bootup without it. So, need to remember the Alt+Space, then M, to move the windows back to the primary display. Some can't even be moved over to the 2nd display, like NJStar.

@faulty.lee: i see.@axeffect: It's a great suggestion, but most people wouldn't accept buying an Apple. Although, I for one highly recommend Apple whenever possible. Great machines. I love it especially if it's PowerPC based.xboxrulz