xisto Community
iGuest

Linux Wireless Problem Ubuntu (Wubi) fails to see the wireless card

Specs:Compaq Presario C304 Laptop with Broadcom 802.11g Wireless Network Adapter PCI Factory installed that works well running Windows XP Home, but I installed a copy of Ubuntu using Wubi and Linux does not connect via the wireless smile.gif

I am new to Linux and need some assistance diagnosing the problem. I have read up a little on the Wubi/Ubuntu/Networking and Wireless Forum and am totally confused about some of the issues which may be causing the problem. Where do I start? I have a copy of Everest on the Windows Boot side, so if you require any information about Hardware, I could provide it.

If someone could assist here, it would be appreciated. smile.gif

I have added this topic as a "quoted" Topic due to having also posted it on the Xisto Forums for credit there. As per the Xisto rules, only one topic posting can earn credits.

Thanks for reading and replying.

That's correct, that is our rule.

As for the problem, you must make sure that you installed the WLAN drivers on your Ubuntu installation before you can use the WLAN adapter.

If your WLAN card doesn't come with a Linux driver or if Broadcom doesn't have a Linux driver for your system, then use NDISWrapper.

For more help, visit the Ubuntu Forums.

xboxrulz

NDISWrapper is a useful utility. I've used it myself many times to get Linksys and Cisco wireless cards to work under linux. If there is no good driver released by the company that makes your wireless card for linux, you may want to try the Windows driver with NDISWrapper even if you can find a Linux driver. the Linux driver might be better, but don't assume it is just because it was made for Linux.~Viz

It seems a reported errorLinux Wireless Problem1) use the button or shell methods to see if your wireless card is known to ubuntu.2) if not see release notes of your ubuntu distribution to see if your card is supported.(see below)3) if it is supported, see if there is not a reported error about that behavior. (you may try to restart your computer with wireless turned on) (see below)4) if ubuntu sees your card, then try to connect manually selecting your network by clicking the network button on the panel.5) if you can see it, but connection is not established, there is some configuration or reception problem.6) also try 1-5 starting from the live cd============================================================================What Ubuntu version you have?See the link release notes of your version.In 8.10 there is an error that hides wireless networks if you do not start your pc withWireless turned on.See release notes for your version, also to see if your hardware is supported.----------------------------------------------------------------------------An easy thing to do, is to add the network monitor button to the panel.It is loaded by default has two black screens overlapping, while connected to wireless it changes to a stair bar diagram showing signal intensity.Click that button, you will see if wireless signals are detected. If you can see your modem, then your hardware is working. The problem may be to configure it right.Normally it works automatically, asking user/password if secured, or just working if unsecured.----------------------------------------------------------------------------Other way to detect if your card is detected by ubuntu:1) open a terminal (menu/accessories/terminal)2) list your hardware typing: lshwYou should see something similar to this but with your card's data: *-network description: Wireless interface product: PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection vendor: Intel Corporation physical id: 0 bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0 logical name: wmaster0 version: 02 serial: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX width: 32 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: bus_master cap_list logical ethernet physical wireless configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwl3945 ip=ddd.Ddd.Ddd.Ddd latency=0 module=iwl3945 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abg-------------------------------------------------------------------Good Luck!

Thanks for the replies.I should have reported back some time ago, but, well... I got busy and forgot all about this posting... :mellow:Anyway, the Ubuntu install includes a hardware Driver check procedure that worked to have the wireless recognized and connected properly. I simply needed to go to the System Drop-down and select Administration . hardware Drivers and the process recognized that the Driver required was available as a non-free driver and after selecting to have it installed, it worked. The Ubuntu project can not provide Drivers which are not Open Source, so all that needed to be done was confirm that the driver was not a part of the Ubuntu install and that i chose to have the driver downloaded and installed. Simple, actually.Thanks again to all the repliers.

Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)