xisto Community
Machzy

Realvnc Troubleshooting With Router

Hi, I have a router at home and I installed RealVNC on it. At first, my IP address (the one that showed up when I hovered my mouse over the RealVNC icon in the system try) was different than IP address that came up when I ran the "VNC server test page".So like the documentation said on the RealVNC website, I setup port forwarding on my router and tried again but I still have two different IP addresses on my computer at home. I tried both IPs but the viewer keeps giving me the same error message every time I try to connect "unable to connect to host: Connection timed out (10060)".Can anybody give this newbie a hand with how to get this to work? Thanks.

the IP adres that the RealVNC icons shows you is the IP adres from your computer's NIC. The IP adres on the RealVNC test page is the one that is given to your router. These two adresses will always be different.If you make a connection, do you add the port on which the VNC Server is listening or not (like 192.168.1.2:5900) ? If you connect from inside the network, you should give the (private) IP adres (= the one that belongs to your computer's NIC), if not (so if you want to connect over the internet), then you should give the IP adres that is given to your router.//edit: also make sure there's no firewall blocking the VNC server

Edited by wutske (see edit history)

Well I understand that the Private IP is for within the network, but that's not how I want to connect to my home computer. I want to connect to my home computer from work.I've tried the "Test page" IP, but it says "connection timed out". I just thought of something else though, at work, my computer is hooked up through a network, would that have anything to do with this not working? Thanks so much for the help.Also, I turned off my Windows Firewall and I still can't seem to connect on the VNC test page.

Edited by Machzy (see edit history)

I'm also interested in doing this and will be giving it a test drive. I have seen an option in my router for enabling a remote IP address. Does your router have that option anywhere? If so, try enabling it and jot down the IP address there.I had a question (in my mind <_<) about how it would forward it to the proper computer in your house if it had more than one computer using VNC. The router will need to know which computer to give you access to remotely. I did a search on this and from what I found, if you change the default port in VNC (could be 5500-5900) to something else, it should be able to pick up the correct computer in your house and allow you to connect to it.Definitely check with your company's IT department to see if they allow outbound VNC ports. They might be blocking out the common VNC ports and this will in turn block your RealVNC program from contacting your home computer.

You probably would need to enable and set port forwarding on your router to the computer where you have the VNC server running.Work -> Router:10060 -> ComputerRunningVNC:10060What's your router?