xisto Community
xiangqin

Power Supply For 200gb Hardisk what to buy?

hi there, currently im planning of buying a 200gb hardisk for my computer.. i would like to ask if you have any suggestions as to what power supply it will need...im using a 350V power supply... would that be enough? or are there any tendencies that my pc would crash of power? some of the hardwares currently connected now is a cd-rom, a dvd-rom burner, 128mb videocard and a memory of 512mb... please do give me suggestions... thanks so much!

Yeah, you should be fine with a 350W power supply. But you know what they say, the more the merrier <_<I actually got a 200GB hard drive also but using a 500W power supply. I was organizing my hard drives (about 7, yes, count that 7 of them) and they were all connected to my 500W power supply. No hiccups or anything, so I'm sure your's will be fine as well, unless you intend to add a few more hard drives in that machine. If worse comes to worse, the device just won't bootup. It won't crash or anything. You can just unplug a working device (say one of the DVD drives) and plug it into the non-working one. If that powers up, then you know it's a power supply issue (not enough power).

Although hard drives are not the most power intensive items in a computer, a decent spike in power usage can be noticed when they spin up from rest (which usually only happens at boot-up). However, since other devices draw power, we can't answer your power questions without detailed information about your hardware specifications. There are several sites that will calculate power requirements for you if you provide them with detailed information about your system, just do a search for something similar to "computer power calculator." Some of them should give you a good estimate. If the estimate comes to around 300W or so, you'd probably be better off with the 500W supply, in case a sharp increase in activity in your computer bumps you up over the 350.~Viz

All i can really tell you is that you should be fine with what you have. I don't think there are much differences between capacity sizes, like a 100gb to a 200gb should use the same amount of power providing that they spin at the same rpm. See if you have a 7,200 rpm (i think it is that) compared to a 10,000 rpm hard drive then there would be a noticable difference in power usage.The other stuff that has an impact on your psu are your other components such as cpu and video card. So not knowing the exact model of either of them and assuming you'd have an older cpu/video card you should be fine on 350W psu-HellFire