xisto Community

I have Windows Vista and I don't recommend it unless you got it with a new computer since it lags horribly if you don't have the sufficient amount of RAM, cache and a good processor.My system meets every single requirement, but since my processor is too old for Vista, it lags in gaming.That's why I opted for console gaming.xboxrulz

If you read around, you will see that there are still issues that need to be worked out in Windows Vista. Before you even think of installing Vista, you better make sure your hardware are up to par to handle it:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/windows

As always, try not to follow their system requirements exactly as mentioned. I always recommend pushing it above from what they have listed to ensure that it will run more smoothly.

The major problem with Vista is the drivers for the hardware. If the manufacturer for your hardware device didn't release a driver for Vista, there might be compatibility issues with it. Save yourself the trouble and wait a few more months or longer until they work the bugs out (definitely will be more coming) and hopefully manufacturers will release updated Vista drivers.

Windows XP is still preferred over Vista at this time. It will definitely take time to get used to as things have changed dramatically from what I have seen.

If you read around, you will see that there are still issues that need to be worked out in Windows Vista. Before you even think of installing Vista, you better make sure your hardware are up to par to handle it:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/windows

As always, try not to follow their system requirements exactly as mentioned. I always recommend pushing it above from what they have listed to ensure that it will run more smoothly.

The major problem with Vista is the drivers for the hardware. If the manufacturer for your hardware device didn't release a driver for Vista, there might be compatibility issues with it. Save yourself the trouble and wait a few more months or longer until they work the bugs out (definitely will be more coming) and hopefully manufacturers will release updated Vista drivers.

Windows XP is still preferred over Vista at this time. It will definitely take time to get used to as things have changed dramatically from what I have seen.

Most drivers are compatible with Windows Vista unless you install the Windows Vista X64 (however, it's highly recommended if you have a 64-bit processor).

It's also rumoured that the next Windows will only support 64-bit.

xboxrulz

As always, try not to follow their system requirements exactly as mentioned.

Yeah, everybody remembers what hell it used to be to launch WinXP on hardware following MS minimum requirenments...

If not for the games I'd move to open-source altogether, and as current benchmarks show (tomshardware.com), there is no significant improvement in speed (game-wise) when moving onto Vista. In fact, as WeaponX mentioned, a lot of technical (and security!) issues has to be fixed before the system is worth the hassle of switching from XP.

Myself, I'm waiting up and till the moment in which Vista is as "seamless" as XP is right now.

Edited by xerxes (see edit history)

Well i haven't tried vista yet, however I have heard of and had several friends comment on it, and I can say a number of things.First of all, from what I have heard, vista isn't ready yet...there are still several issues. Second, windows xp performs better on even many new machines, simply because it requires less resources.So all in all, I think you might be better off waiting a little longer before getting vista...

My friends have talked to me about their Vista, saying that it really lags your computer. I think Microsoft has to manage its graphics : compatability. Having great graphics but snail-like speed would be a total waste.Whenever microsoft declares a system requirement, I suggest going for more than what is expected because the system requirement is the least settings that you should have so that you can use it.

saying that it really lags your computer

You mean games or system in general? No wonder the system lags, if on the same hardware Vista uses more resources than XP, with less left for running demanding software (especially games).

I run both XP Pro and Vista Ultimate on my laptop, and they both run fine, as far as speed goes. My laptop has a 1.6 Core Duo, 2GB ram, 256MB Shared Graphics. It gets a 3.1 Vista Rating, but i haven't had issues with lagging. It does take longer to boot up than XP, but once loaded it works fine with the built-in appz. 3rd party stuff, though, is another story. I really do not feel this Vista version is ready for mass producing, it should have been the final RC. If you haven't gotten Vista yet, I would advise waiting till the first service pack comes out. I don't run much from Vista, mostly i use the XP installation, but the programs that i have noticed problems with so far are firefox (random closing), Yahoo Messenger (crashes every 10 minutes), and even occasionaly IE7 and the windows module installer... it just crashes now and then.

I run the following XP Pro Vista Home Premium and linux and i have to say that XP Pro is the better out of all of them because Vista Home Premium may look good but like some one said it does actually lag ALOT unless it comes standard on your new computer (laptop) so i would suggest sticking with XP

I run both XP Pro and Vista Ultimate on my laptop, and they both run fine, as far as speed goes. My laptop has a 1.6 Core Duo, 2GB ram, 256MB Shared Graphics. It gets a 3.1 Vista Rating, but i haven't had issues with lagging. It does take longer to boot up than XP, but once loaded it works fine with the built-in appz. 3rd party stuff, though, is another story. I really do not feel this Vista version is ready for mass producing, it should have been the final RC. If you haven't gotten Vista yet, I would advise waiting till the first service pack comes out. I don't run much from Vista, mostly i use the XP installation, but the programs that i have noticed problems with so far are firefox (random closing), Yahoo Messenger (crashes every 10 minutes), and even occasionaly IE7 and the windows module installer... it just crashes now and then.

odd, my machine has a rating of 3.7 and it lags like hell. The lowest score point is my processor.

xboxrulz

tomshardware.com released quite a review of Vista's Performance Indices. It shows perfectly how far those benchmarking tools are (in)accurate.

It's still quite sad that my 5 year old machine is considered an up-to-date system (the processor is pre-HT). Yet it still scores 3.7 (close to being high-end) according to WEI.

However, as tomshardware said, it's only in relation to Windows and not to the actual hardware benchmarking.

My system benchmarking via CPU-Z:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

My GFX card is: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 AGP (running 4X).

xboxrulz