xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
hazemmostafa

Tutorial: Popout Image Effect

Hello everyone ,

Here in this post I will show you how to pop out or in another name break through an image to create a cool advertising like the ones you may see in movie posters or in games .

Let us name this project pop out car ,

The pop out car is my example here so lets start ,

here is the origional image - I do not own this image I got it by searching google for :intitle:car race -

Posted Image

and this is the result after the whole steps are done by me using photoshop cs successfully

Posted Image

Step one

“Now lets open photoshop - cs or any other version you own the steps used here will work for any version I usually like to use basic steps - and get the image enhanced as it should be

please take care of color correction and brightness and contrast and levels too - this is a preparing step you should do for every image you are going to use in any design project , If you are a graphic designer you must have these steps as basic -

Step two

“select a part of the origional image that will pop out for this image I used a marquee selction tool shaped in square , the keyboard shortcut is the letter M , When you want to work with the marquee selection tool just hit "M" and the mouse will change to a plus sign "+" this means you can now select a square shape

Cool I selected the right half of the image to pop out , note that this is the front of the car so I did not have much choices in my selection , In other cases like a fruit or a glass or .. etc you have some more choice to select your popout part of it from up or down right left whatever you like .

Posted Image

“Now create a layer via copy of this part , to do that you will have to go to layer menu and select Layer via copy from it , or you can use the shortcut Ctrl+J , this way you will have a new layer -above the origional image named background- as shown in this image

Posted Image

Step THREE

We need to clear the selected part taken before in the new layer -via copy-from the origional image but Photoshop will not allow you to delete from the Backgroud Layer and you also see this small lock to the right of this background name So what we have to do now is to release this lock automatically made by photoshop and to do that you will have to double click the origional image layer and a popup will show asking you to name this layer , Just hit enter or the ok button in this popup the name does not matter in this example anyway .,

Now you see the lock is gone and this is the way to unloack the background layer so now you can delete the pop out part you already selected before . And to get the selection back you will have to hit Ctrl button and left click on the Layer via Copy and the selection will be back again , now highlight the background layer - the one we started with - or whatever you name it and hit delete button or go to Edit menu and select clear .

Posted Image

Step Four

ok now using path tool - to get this tool you will have to click it from the tools menu the one to the left in photoshop or you can hit the shortcut key "P" , this tools has more than a mode to work with, I usually use free path mod with no masks but this is my way you can have it work for you any mode you prefere. - select the pop out part of the image (car) as a pre step to clear the back view of the car , - also you can use any other selection tool lasso magic lasso whatever suite the image you are working on , the reason I used path tool is that it works for any image no matter how it looks or colored also the path tool is the most accurate one in selection.

Posted Image

Step Five

Here you just selected the popout part of the race car ., what you are going to do now is to reverse the selection so the selected part which will be cleared is the back view not the pop out part of the race car and to do that you will have to go to Select menu and select Inverse or you may use the shortcut key for this option Ctrl+I .

Now the selection is reversed Delete the background leaving the popout part of the car isolated

Posted Image

here is what you looking for

Posted Image

Step Six

Add a white - or any color - background and type your own words in this example I typed need for speed and position it at the buttom of the image.

Posted Image

Note You may enhance this image as you like ofcourse , your type font,size,weight,words ,place

also the selection of the popout part may change the whole image

Posted Image

Try other ideas

Thank You

Ok... This is just a copy pasted tutorial that I can almost guarantee that you did not right so Im going to have to call it spam.. I think you are just copy/pasting to get your point count up.