xisto Community
WeaponX

Won't Reconnect To Wireless Network Automatically Once Disconnected

Just built my new computer and holding off on a new wireless PCI adapter for the time being. I have an old TrendNET USB Wireless Adapter that I plugged into this new computer. The problem I'm having now is that whenever I get disconnects from my DSL router Windows won't reconnect automatically B) On my laptop (using the Netgear PC Card), it automatically reconnects once my DSL connection kicks back in. I've been living with this problem since my Internet Service Provider are of no help in resolving this issue. It didn't bother me much on my laptop since it auto-resolves this issue. But now on this new computer (desktop), I hate to keep doing a repair on the connection to fix it. Also, on the repair, it does the usual diabling wireless device and enabling, etc....but then it stays there with the Cancel button. My connection is back, but the Cancel button and saying that it's still trying to establish a connection is still there. I have to Cancel and then hit Close manually.Is there any setting or a fix around this issue?Many thanks.

When you say disconnected from your DSL router, do you mean your wifi is disconnected or your DSL? From your initial description ("On my laptop (using the Netgear PC Card), it automatically reconnects once my DSL connection kicks back in"), it seems like it's DSL disconnected from your ISP, but the later description ("Also, on the repair, it does the usual diabling wireless device and enabling") seems to indicate disconnection of wifi.If it's the disconnection of your DSL, when you get your line back, you won't need to do "repair" on the wifi connection. When that happen again, you try to open "Services" under "Administrative Tools" in control panel, restart the "DNS Client" and "DHCP Client" services. If that helps, then I'm not sure what else to do, cause i faced the same before even with LAN connection. Then later the problem disappear after i formatted and fresh install my windows again.

It's disconnecting from the DSL line...I can usually go into the router settings without any problems. Just not getting a line outside B)Repairing the internet connection via the Wireless Connection Status window fixes this issue though, but it still annoys the heck out of me to do this each time I get cut off. I'm not going to format and do a clean install as this is the clean install already (just did this like two weeks ago LOL).Hunting for a reliable PCI Wireless adapter as we speak. Until then I guess I have to live with this problem.One more thing. Maybe this USB adapter is just junk, but I notice that the connection never hits near 54Mbps as advertised or even at 11Mbps. It's between 1Mbps - 5.5Mbps usually. My laptop in the same location in the room (maybe one foot away) reaches 48-54Mbps reliably though. I ruled out any interference as this doesn't occur on the laptop. Shouldn't USB and PCI wireless adapters provide the same speed? Or does PCI wireless adapters actually faster and have better reception?

If your USB adapter the straight plug in type? If so, you can try to use an USB extension cable to the adapter can face straight up instead, that might help

Was playing around with the Trendnet program itself (instead of having Windows XP wireless taking over) to see if it matters. But the same things occurs, so my guess is that this brand is just not good B)Yep, it's the straight stick that plugs right in. I have an extension cord that should fit it. Will give it a try but I don't have my hopes up for this one...Everything is brand new on this Dual Core 2 machine except for the wireless adapter. Looking at a Linksys or D-Link now.

Linksys is good. Don't bother with D-Link, it sux. I used to like d-link, but now they're just another cheap brand. You can also consider Belkin. Prolink are equivalent to d-link, but at least they are cheap. Netgear seems to have compatibility problem.

Should have read this first before buying. Actually saw a D-Link PCI Wireless adapter with some good reviews and bought it. The same problem exists. The computer doesn't reconnect when the connection from the DSL line is back. My other desktop (using a TrendNET PCI adapter) is also doing the same thing. I find this particularly odd because on my laptop (using Netgear PC card) it reconnects automatically when the DSL line is up again.Any other suggestions?

usb extension cord

Won't Reconnect To Wireless Network Automatically Once Disconnected

Ā 

Replying to faulty.Lee

Ā 

Hi! I am searching the net to rectify my problem and came across your post. I have a Belkin F5D8053 and and I am connecting into whatever "unsecured" networks that are floating around up there. The receiver works when plugged directly into hard drive (though drops alot), but when I plug it into a usb extension cord (which I KNOW works) I get an error that says USB Device not recognized. I tried re-installing software and everything. Even called tech support (alot of good that did) and they said you can't use an extension cord with receiver. I want to be able to move the receiver closer to the window. This just doesn't make sense to me. Any advice offered is much appreciated!!

Ā 

-Julia

usb extension cordWon't Reconnect To Wireless Network Automatically Once Disconnected

u need usb extension cord with power adopter. It is a bit pricey but it will solve the problemĀ 

-reply by pvmanwani

PCI vs. USBWon't Reconnect To Wireless Network Automatically Once Disconnected

The built-in PCI card of a laptop is usually connected to an antenna that runs around the edges of the laptop screen. If your USB doesn't have an external whip antenna, it's just using a built-in antenna that's printed on the circuit board. You can't expect to have a fast connection without a decent antenna unless you're in the same room as your router.

-reply by puzzles