xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Vue

Burn Fat X 3 Lose fat from thighs/buttocks

Before I go rambling on, here is the article (I watched it on the news numerous times before):

A REVOLUTION in weight loss is about to hit Australia after scientists devised a workout that burns three times the amount of fat.

They found their specific brand of interval training prompts the body to click into a metabolic response that allows more fat to be burned under the skin and within the muscles.

Researchers at the University of NSW and the Garvan Institute studied 45 overweight women over 15 weeks, putting them through a 20 minute cycling regime in which they sprinted on a stationary bike for eight seconds followed by 12 seconds of cycling lightly.

"They lost three times more weight as other women who exercised at a continuous, regular pace for 40 minutes," UNSW Associate Professor Steve Boutcher said.

Their success was due to higher amounts of chemical compounds called catecholamines that are produced in increasing amounts when linked to interval sprinting; the resulting chemical reaction drives greater weight loss.

The scientists believe the regime would also be applicable to swimming, walking, running and rowing.

Professor Boutcher said other types of interval training use longer interludes which are not as effective for overweight people and said the current government recommendations for exercise are largely ineffectual.

"Walking for 60 minutes, seven times a week does not result in much fat loss, usually 1.15kg over 15 weeks â for a lot of overweight people this is going to be a revolution," he said.

The scientists found their method could "spot reduce" troublesome areas such as legs and buttocks.

The system will be useful to diabetics, as "insulin resistance was dragged down by about 32 per cent".

The findings were welcomed by Bondi local Kim Broderick, 21.

"I try to run or walk but if this system works better it's great."

The scientists are now ready for the next phase of the study which controls food and exercise plans.

"We hope to find even more loss in fat," Professor Boutcher said.

The trial will put participants through the interval training while placing them on a Mediterranean diet of fresh food as well as daily fish oil capsules, which helps burn fat more efficiently.

- Masters, Clare. "Eight Seconds Key to Weight Loss." NEWS.com.au (2007): 1. 25 Apr. 2007 <http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/;.

Interesting, no? Well, personally I can't tell you whether I've lost weight because I'm not overweight.

So for the lazy people who didn't read the entire article, what you do is:

Sprint for eight seconds (1)

Go slow for 12 seconds (2)

Do (1) and (2) continuously for 20 minutes.

Understood? Also, you have to do it three times a week.

I remember on TV how one of the "guinea pig" women said that she still "dunked her donuts" (referring to that she still ate her typical food) and still lost weight. Also, the researches trialled using stationary bikes, but they suggested that any other sporting activity would work well too.

In the long term, if this works out for you, remember that Vue from Xisto helped you. :) (If it works so well that you did indeed lose weight, I am happy to accept Xisto points. With open arms. Tee-hee.) And if it doesn't, I will run away helplessly.

(^ Oh yeah and "Burn fat x 3" and "Lose fat from thighs/buttocks" are not made up. Yes, I know I make corny topic titles and topic descriptions.)

Ah...good luck? Tell me how it goes. :ph34r: