xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tansqrx

Can Someone Get A Rootkit Certified?

It looks like the famous H.D. Moore is trying to get Metasploit Microsoft Certified for Vista in an article at physorg.com (http://phys.org/news/2007-03-rootkit-certified-vista.html). Apparently getting your software certified by Microsoft only costs $500 and is somewhat of a conveyer belt mindless system. The problem with this is Vista and XP, if enabled, only allows signed drivers to be installed. I suppose this is nothing new but having a signed driver gives the comfort of legitimacy to the users and in the case of Vista, gives legitimacy to the OS. Even though only allowing signed drivers is a good thing, it is not fool proof.I think all in the security arena would agree that Metasploit is not a rootkit but I’m certain Microsoft would not like to have it certified. Maybe I should go ahead and get a few things certified while there is still a mad rush to be Vista compatible…

All I have to say from reading the article is Microsoft is making sure no ther other but their own gets installed. Also the fact you don't get full admin privileges in vista is something I would be worried about as well. I could be taking this a bit far, but that could mean that only Microsoft employee's have FULL access to the vista OS.But of course the fact that Microsoft is being cheap about security at least on Vista Business version, means that they plan for the big businesses to get the better versions of vista.