xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SilverFox1405241541

Setting Up A Peer To Peer Network. From laying the wires to sharing the printers.

Setting up a peer to peer network. From laying the wires to sharing the printers.

Introduction

This tutorial is to help you set up a wired Ethernet based peer to peer network, which is a type of Local Area Network (LAN for short). Here I will guide you through the steps from laying the wire to the very last thing (which for me is setting up print sharing). If you have any questions please PM me or post here.

Explanation of Networking in short

There are many types of networks in the world of computers, the internet itself is nothing but the linking of thousands...or maybe millions of LANs, Wide Area Networks (WANs); linked together via Internet Service Providers (ISPs). Within this collection of networks are many virtual networks, they all come together to be what we tend to think of as the "Internet", "Net", "Web" or a host of other names. The Internet is governed by Protocols, today we are going to use the most common protocol, Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP for short). TCP/IP has served as the main protocol for well over decade now, and that is what we will use to set up your network. I won't go on as I'm getting off topic.

Setting up the Physical Network

Since a LAN is a physical network you need some things to link the different PCs.

You will need (in addition to what is needed to set up your basic internet from your ISP):

1 Router or Hub (Router is better and is used in this example)

1 Ethernet Cat 5 Cable and one more for each PC

An AC Adapter for the Router

Routers range from $30 to $60 and are available at most retailers. You might also need clips to run it along the wall, these are available at most major retailers in different sizes with nails already.

For starters run an Ethernet cable from your Cable/DSL Modem to your Router, plug it into the appropriate slot. Then run Ethernet wire from the Router to the Ethernet jack in the back of the PCs. If you need to run a cable along the wall and/or ceiling place the clips to hold the cable in every 3-5 feet, preferably with the nail on the bottom. Once all Ethernet cables are run then plug the AC Adapter into a 110 V (in US) AC Outlet and then into your router. If your router has client software please run it.

Linking the PCs.

Then go to My Computer and then "My Network Places". Click "Set up a home or small office network".

Posted Image

How to access My Network Places

The wizard will run. Then go to the other PCs and repeat the wizard adding them to the appropriate work group. The wizard be default chooses the generally correct choices, however in the following pictures I highlight the options which you should chose.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

After that step install the printer drivers on the other PCs. You are then setup with your own Peer to Peer LAN.

Conclusion

I plan to add upon this tutorial, I wanted to take pictures of the hardware mentioned but my camera wasn't working.