xisto Community
.:Brian:.

Suggestions For The Hosting Request Process

Well, after having been a member of a number of different free hosting companies (as well as an admin on one, and a support person on another), I have found a number of things. First of all, the way that Xisto does the request process, isn't as professional as some of the other hosting companies.

For example, the hosting company I had before Xisto, used to use something called the HCP ( http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ ). Account creation, upgrades, and requests were done through this, and it worked really well. It seems a lot more professional that the traditional hosting requests forum. Also, it protects user's privacy a little more. Right now, everybodies e-mail address is on the forums....that makes it really easy for spam bots to grab them.

So what I am trying to get at, is that it would be nice if the hosting requests were done somehow differently where other members, spam bots, ect....didn't get to see them. I mean Xisto already has a great credits system set up, so isn't there a way that it could be expanded just a little bit, to have a new type of hosting request system?

Well, anyhow I hope that you guys can take this into consideration. And in any respect, Xisto as of so far seems like an excellent place to have my site hosted. Thank you for all you do,
Brian

Thank you for your suggestion.Trap17 is currently running a test free web hosting request form. This module was designed by CreatedInvision.comand topic creation function is based off of code written by Mohamed. But since this module was written for a general application submit, this module still lacks many features.However, showing member's email address has its benefits. When a member forgets which email was used to register he or she can always go back to the request and "refresh" the information. That goes the same for cPanel name. Admins receives many requests, "what's my username because I forgot since I haven't accessed it in a long time..." I also know that OpaQue made spiders not to cache Free Web Hosting Request sections. If you prefer, please PM a moderator to have your sensitive information blocked out.I wish IPB was simple enough to take it apart and slap a module that would make free web hosting request to be seamless. Perhaps Xisto can launch a customized module project for Xisto and Xisto.

Can an Admin around here kindly explain how exactly the registration process works out? ;) I know its not connected with the form we post in the forums - some Admin has to do it manually. And then, when we visit the /process page, all options can be seen - its upto our choice ;) . Is it that the Admins first create the shell account on the server and then we go in and activate the account? Because, anyone can visit the /process page without posting a request here and click on the options. The database would return a negative result ;) , of course - but that shows the Forum and the Process aren't integrated!

So what exactly is happening when someone posts a new request for a hosting account in the forums?! ;)

Oh I think we're giving away OpaQue's secret here ;)Basically, your forum account and your hosting account managed under gamma WHM are related. No one can create an accont without admin of this forum adjusting a member's account. And the status of a hosting account depends on the status of a forum account (such as hosting credits, member's group).So one cannot exist without the other (loosely said).Admins do not create shell account for any member. Knowing that, you can create an account that is completely different from the information provided with the request application. And this is okay--if an account contains duplicate name from of another, you have the freedom to change it on the spot.