xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Zlash

Google - Better Before? google is going from good to average

Google is a search engine which most people know about and use. Everybody says that is really good and great, but maybe they are starting too lose their touch. Now days, google is coming up with a lot of rubbish search results. Google IS coming up with good results but it isnt as good as we could expect it to be. Many search results is even directing to spyware and virus sites. Sure you cant blindly believe that you can just press whatever you want because its google, but even though it should be a bit more reliable than that we must watch our every step.

I haven't noticed much difference. Google is lacking on some of its specialty search features agianst others and I think its about big as it can go. But Yahoo search engine lags and the others all own each other so there isn't much choice regardless...sadly.

After all the link back farms and everything its gotta be hard for them to stay on top of people trying to raise their rank without necessarily being the #1 choice for their search string.I guess as site designers were stuck in the middle wanting on one side our pages to rank high but on the other wishing we didnt get Google Rage daily.Nothing frustrates me more than not being able to find what im looking for on a search engine but with how many billions of pages out there im still amazed I find anything.Google has a pretty good community support if you have specifics about search strings that are not performing as well theyd probably like to hear about it. Hell you might even get yourself a job! (Id like to work for them).I have used google for years, only gone to Yahoo a couple times for directory based searching but even now Google is getting better at that aspect too (imo).Google seems to be positioning to be the be all and end all of internet resources, I wonder if they will spread themselves too thin or not. Great idea for a discussion!-Jordan

I don't think it's Google's fault there are more junk sites amongst the top results - it's just that people are finding ways of cheating Google and getting to those positions. In my opinion, Google is getting better everyday. It's not the new services that make it so good, but the little tweaks they introduce everyday.

This is nothing new. Their junk was much worse a year ago, before they started "The great culling" of spam sites.For optimal results you can always use a program like Copernic, which searches on dozens of engines and combines the best results. I usually find what I want pretty easily with google or common sense.You can always try out other engines such as MSN or yahoo and compare.

Of all the search engines i have tried to now, google is certainly the best. Its just that there is a lot of junk now and I'm not saying that it is Google's fault but it is the truth.Haven't tried Copernic. Maybe ill check it out, thx

google though has a good service but i am really finding yahoo serach more impressive nowadays,it give me more and accurate results and i feel a tremendous improvemnt has taken in yahoo,google is pbviously the best i feel atleast for finding accurate contents,but if you are stuck in a situation where there is no result on google and you will find results for most of them on yahoo,but make sure they arent spelling mistakes,msn is really poor i found ,i dont like anythjing abt msn ,it so many tries to be the default search engine in almost all updates,msn really sucksi aLSO FOUND A SEARCH ENGINE WHICH SHOWS THE COMBINE results of google and msn ,but i have forgotten the url try to serach yahoo and google on google search engine and u will find that site

I don't think Google is loosing its touch. These virus and spy ware sites have found out how Google does its search and have capitalized on this to bring up their page ranking. Their results are still miles ahead of its competitors, with Yahoo being the only "real" competitor in the search market. If you want specialized search, Google's customizable search is pretty good and will only get better and easier to use. As to the music and video searches, I think Google is getting a lot better; Google video now includes YouTube and, although it is blocked at my school, YouTube has a lot of content that Google video just doesn't have. Google's music search isn't all that great, but that is because it doesn't host any music. I use Yahoo to find music to listen to, sometimes. MSN, or Live now, is just a poor search engine--it has nothing that stands out about it. LiveSpaces sucks and has hardly any members; it is completely thrashed by MySpace and Facebook (Facebook is my favorite in this category). Hotmail still sucks, but at least it has more space now. I really like DogPile for finding ridiculous stuff because DogPile includes search results from each search engine, resulting in a wide selection of results from their different search algorithms.

But still, for the most hit sites that carry spyware and malware, google has the malware warning before you click on the link, so you'd have to be pretty stupid to go ahead and click it anyways, either that or you have a fetish for troubleshooting and reformats.

I don't think it's Google's fault there are more junk sites amongst the top results - it's just that people are finding ways of cheating Google and getting to those positions. In my opinion, Google is getting better everyday. It's not the new services that make it so good, but the little tweaks they introduce everyday.

Mmmm. I would say that is Google's fault. Google has no right to direct the way sites work. Every site is free to code the way they want, including in a way that throws the Google system off balance. Google's job is to sort those sites in a manner that helps us searchers. Regardless of how "cheap" these web designers are, Google has to sort these sites. If they don't sort the sites well, then, it's their fault. That's their job, and by not sorting the sites well, they're shirking their job.

Nonetheless, to answer the first post, I haven't noticed any difference. I don't get any more spam sites from Google now than I did before (and I've got to say it's very few in the first place). And sometimes when spam sites do show up it's usually an outdated domain that Google has yet to recrawl and discover. Once they do recrawl and find out that the domain no longer holds the same site, it's usually updated.

Overall though, I still find Google to be better than other search engines like Yahoo, MSN, Live etc. And in the business world, I suppose that's what matters. Even if we as consumers would prefer a constant increase of quality, it's just not going to happen unless there's lots of competition/rivarly to drive things up the wall.