xisto Community
smyke89

Windows Vista article

Sadly to say, In about 3 or 4 years all the schools will have the windows vista and we will be forced to use them.

What? Will we be forced to use a newer version of Windows on other systems that is more stable and user friendly? THIS IS MADNESS!! Save the children!

I don't see why most librarys and schools don't start getting macs. They are a lot safer

There are plenty more reasons to purchase a system than security, especially since many schools and libraries already use filters to block certain aspects of internet. You won't easily find mac or exotic Operating Systems installed on public machines because of compatibility and people knowing how to use it. I hope you realize this argument doesn't hold much value.

and you can't mess them up since most files relating to the system can't be opened with a word pad (unlike windows).

Excuse me? You haven't heard of user accounts then. It's simple, the account people use to do their stuff is not an administrator account. They won't be able to change system files and you can opt to make sure they can't install programs.

The OS 10 is probably a better thing to get then the vista because you don't need to upgrade your hardware.

Oh yeah, rather than upgrading the hardware we'll just throw everything away and buy new, more expensive, macs. You're a financial genius.

What? Will we be forced to use a newer version of Windows on other systems that is more stable and user friendly? THIS IS MADNESS!! Save the children!
There are plenty more reasons to purchase a system than security, especially since many schools and libraries already use filters to block certain aspects of internet. You won't easily find mac or exotic Operating Systems installed on public machines because of compatibility and people knowing how to use it. I hope you realize this argument doesn't hold much value.
Excuse me? You haven't heard of user accounts then. It's simple, the account people use to do their stuff is not an administrator account. They won't be able to change system files and you can opt to make sure they can't install programs.
Oh yeah, rather than upgrading the hardware we'll just throw everything away and buy new, more expensive, macs. You're a financial genius.

1.) True, however, Macs have their own up sides to it. It is open-sourced and UNIX based, so it would be great for those libraries who are still running UNIX.
2.) True, however, admins can still change a lot of operating system files. Sadly, most Windows users are running on admin accounts.
3.) lol, good argument. Even though, I love Macs, I have to say that it's a flaw.

xboxrulz

Have you ever used a text editor called "nano" in Macs? It's the exact same thing as Notepad where you can edit things in the system.

Anyways, I've seen a lot of schools considering changing to Linux and Mac. Furthermore, there IS a smaller Mac. It's called Mac Mini.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ (Canadian Store)

xboxrulz

I have never heard of Mac mini or nano text editor. I still think that macs are safer simply because they don't have anoying firewalls that take up lots of CPU. Thats the biggest problem with most windows computers and also the fact you can edit the register without knowing what your doing. If someone ever findes a good way to keep windows xp or vista safe without waisting soo much cpu could you p.m. me. I currently use zone alarm on xp. Maby with the new upgrades costing soo much more schools and librarys will switch to the Macantosh Apple OS 10.

Thanks,

Sparkx

Edited by sparkx (see edit history)