xisto Community
foolakadugie

Valentine Illustration something I made for last years v-day

With valentines day approaching, I decided to post this. It is an illustration I made

for a valentine last year. Although most of it was done by hand there was some

compositing that I did in photoshop. The splattered paint splotches behind the flowers

were painted on a separate paper and were then composited into the illustration.

The only other thing I did digitally was change the background color to that creamy

off-white shade instead of the broght white paper that it was made on. The illustration

was done on two sheets of paper that were taped together, because it was a quick

afternoon project that I made on a whim and had no other larger paper to do it on

at the time. I decided to keep the overlapping paper edge and tape because I liked them

Posted Image

Amazing concept.

Even if the illustration of the heart was not delivered with such finesse I would have liked the concept itself.

foolakadugie, it might have looked good if you gave a little bit detail to the flowers and vines. I do not know - may be you did not have a large enough paper to put in the details - OR - you wanted to keep the collage-style.

Anyway, a well executed piece. I have an impulse to create a vector art based on this. ;)

Amazing concept.

Even if the illustration of the heart was not delivered with such finesse I would have liked the concept itself.

foolakadugie, it might have looked good if you gave a little bit detail to the flowers and vines. I do not know - may be you did not have a large enough paper to put in the details - OR - you wanted to keep the collage-style.

Anyway, a well executed piece. I have an impulse to create a vector art based on this. ;)

Thanks. I have thought about whether I should have put more detail in the flowers and I haven't completely made a decision on it yet. I suppose I could always add it in digitally. The heart does look kind of separate from the flowers I guess due to the difference in detail. Their are a few reasons why I did do it how I did though. First, I wanted it to have a sort of messy splattery quality like the paint and was hesitant in making it too busy with the splatters and details. The other reason was that it was a last minute project that I made ON valentines day and was in sort of a rush. I like combining different styles together and using mixed media/materials so the difference in styles is sort of part of my aesthetic tastes ;)

thanks for the comments and critiques!

Whoa, that is, like, totally cool. I doodle ALL the time, and yet... I still kinda stink. Yours was totally awesome. Maybe I should take an art elective or something...

Thanks. I have thought about whether I should have put more detail in the flowers and I haven't completely made a decision on it yet. I suppose I could always add it in digitally. The heart does look kind of separate from the flowers I guess due to the difference in detail. Their are a few reasons why I did do it how I did though. First, I wanted it to have a sort of messy splattery quality like the paint and was hesitant in making it too busy with the splatters and details. The other reason was that it was a last minute project that I made ON valentines day and was in sort of a rush. I like combining different styles together and using mixed media/materials so the difference in styles is sort of part of my aesthetic tastes ;)

thanks for the comments and critiques!

Yes, you can always add more details. That is the flexibility we have when we are working digitally. And I do know how it is when we start to work on something and we feel there is a lot we can do, but we need to do it with in a particular time. ;)

Hey, foolakadugie, would it be fine if I tried illustrating this using vector art? I like the concept.

Whoa, that is, like, totally cool. I doodle ALL the time, and yet... I still kinda stink. Yours was totally awesome. Maybe I should take an art elective or something...

thanks ;)

Just practice and maybe try looking at other art. Look at what you are drawing

as the shapes that it is composed of rather than what it is. That always helped me.

WOw. that is such a good idea.

I like how the idea of blood/veins coming out to create flowers.

How did you come up with this idea?

Good imagination

eFX

Well I was just thinking of symbols of love and growth, etc and just sort of fused them together.

I think I had been awake for about 48 hours and sleep deprivation always seems to put me in

a creative mode.

Yes, you can always add more details. That is the flexibility we have when we are working digitally. And I do know how it is when we start to work on something and we feel there is a lot we can do, but we need to do it with in a particular time. ;)

Hey, foolakadugie, would it be fine if I tried illustrating this using vector art? I like the concept.

If you only plan on doing it for your own personal enjoyment/practice/learning, then go right ahead,

but if you plan on posting/displaying it somewhere, would it be ok to give me some credit for the concept?

Maybe just mention that it was based on an illustration/concept of mine (My name is Randy Hutchins).

If you do, I would really like to see what you could do to make it your own work/interpretation. See what

you can do to bring in your own composition, personality and style to it (because that is what art is all

about, right? ;) ).

Edited by foolakadugie (see edit history)

Well, I will be actually doing it on two fronts foolakadugie.

One, I will just try out a vector art impelementation of your artwork itself. It will be definetly nothing but copying, I know, but it will help me study the curves and colors. It will be for my own practice, but I will post it here in this thread itself. ;) There will be nothing of my own in it, other than the conversion work, that I can call my own, and obviously I will give the credit to you.

As another piece of work, I have been thinking and doodling around on another concept (that is ofcourse a fork from this one), and this particular piece of work you would be a spark of inspriation in that process. I have been thinking of some more ideas, in terms of some duality that can occur on a person, that I will put in this second work I am talking about. I would again, definetly credit you on the original concept. (But hey! For this one, I will try to stake out as much credit for myself as possible. ;) ;) )

I hope today's work at my job does not eat up a lot of my time and energy - I am looking forward to work on this.

Well, I will be actually doing it on two fronts foolakadugie.

One, I will just try out a vector art impelementation of your artwork itself. It will be definetly nothing but copying, I know, but it will help me study the curves and colors. It will be for my own practice, but I will post it here in this thread itself. ;) There will be nothing of my own in it, other than the conversion work, that I can call my own, and obviously I will give the credit to you.

As another piece of work, I have been thinking and doodling around on another concept (that is ofcourse a fork from this one), and this particular piece of work you would be a spark of inspriation in that process. I have been thinking of some more ideas, in terms of some duality that can occur on a person, that I will put in this second work I am talking about. I would again, definetly credit you on the original concept. (But hey! For this one, I will try to stake out as much credit for myself as possible. ;) ;) )

I hope today's work at my job does not eat up a lot of my time and energy - I am looking forward to work on this.

Sounds great! Enjoy!

I look forward to seeing them.

the image is great i like the way the heart veins concept mixed with the flower ,i always like such wonderful ideas , this illustration is a wonderful do you mind if i send it to my gf in email hehe , canlt give u credit here hehehe

WOW!!!!!.... that is sooo awosome ...i liked it alot.the colors looks really nice along wth the flowers... mice imagination ;)i have been trying to come out with new ideas but nothin' special ;) .... and still have to practice more ;)i'll be practicing to do some paint a lie :P

The work at my job did extend that I could not work on it yesterday.

But today ;), I have been able to work on it.

Here is a direct translation of the work:

Posted Image

It was a good learning experience working on foolakadugie's original concept/artwork that can be found in the first post of this thread.

As I said earlier, I will be trying another piece of work, seeking inspiration from his work. I will try to bring in my own composition, color combinations, mood and interpretation, and try and execute it with vector art.

Again, I must give my due thanks to foolakadugie, Randy Hutchins, for letting me work on this artwork that is based on his original concept.

Edited by Vyoma (see edit history)

The work at my job did extend that I could not work on it yesterday.

But today ;), I have been able to work on it.

Here is a direct translation of the work:

Posted Image

It was a good learning experience working on foolakadugie's original concept/artwork that can be found in the first post of this thread.

As I said earlier, I will be trying another piece of work, seeking inspiration from his work. I will try to bring in my own composition, color combinations, mood and interpretation, and try and execute it with vector art.

Again, I must give my due thanks to foolakadugie, Randy Hutchins, for letting me work on this artwork that is based on his original concept.

nice study. It is interesting to see it in vector. Adding the green color to the stems really sort of turns the heart into a vase whereas in mine the flowers/vines sort of seem to be spurting out form the heart as blood would. It really adds a different feel to the image. It would be interesting to do a sort of community art peice, where everyone sort of adds on to the same project and to see how it would evolve and change.

... it in vector. Adding the green color to the stems really sort of turns the heart into a vase whereas in mine the flowers/vines sort of seem to be spurting out form the heart as blood would. It really adds a different feel to the image....

Oops! Seems like the intent was lost in translation. ;)

I could have made the green to be red or at least, have it sprout as read and gradually turn to brown and then green. It did not cross my mind that they are growth/sprouts out of hear. ;)

... It would be interesting to do a sort of community art peice, where everyone sort of adds on to the same project and to see how it would evolve and change.

Yeah sure we can. If not anything, it will give us the satisfaction on working together and also hone our skills.

foolakadugie, do you have a blog or website. I am thinking of putting it up at my blog (Splat), where, of course, I would give the credit on concept to you. I would also link to you if you give me the URL on where to link.

Oops! Seems like the intent was lost in translation. ;)

I could have made the green to be red or at least, have it sprout as read and gradually turn to brown and then green. It did not cross my mind that they are growth/sprouts out of hear. ;)

Yeah sure we can. If not anything, it will give us the satisfaction on working together and also hone our skills.

foolakadugie, do you have a blog or website. I am thinking of putting it up at my blog (Splat), where, of course, I would give the credit on concept to you. I would also link to you if you give me the URL on where to link.

You are welcome to interpret it anyway that you like. ;) They are supposed to be growing out, but I wanted there to be a sort of duality where the flowers still had the quality of squirting out as blood might, which is why they are sort od messy and the stems aren't even complete in certain places. Also the splattered paint sort of adds to that impression.

I actually do not have any recent web pages of my own, which is a bit ironic since I have spent time on so many other ones and none were for me personally. I do stay busy with work, but I would really like to eventually put up a professional online portfolio for myself. I do have a blog type thing on my Stumbleupon account, but it is mainly just images of other people's work and links to their sites; Although Occasionally I do post some of my own work there. If you want you could also just do a link to my email foolakadugie@gmail.com.

Edited by foolakadugie (see edit history)