xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
beatgammit

Netbeans 5.5 Amazing Java IDE

I had heard about NetBeans a while ago when the earlier versions came out, but it didn't seem like that viable of a solution for my quest for a Java IDE (I used Eclipse then). I was searching for a better way to make my GUI better, when I remembered about NetBeans. I saw that it was one of the most downloaded programs on the Sun site, so I decided to give it a try. I used their form creator, and it worked really well!! I thought that it would be kind of like the C++ or Visual Basic form editors, but it wasn't. I was able to make my own "Beans", forms that I could use on forms, to better imitate what I was doing without a GUI developer. NetBeans was really easy to use and allowed for easy inclusion, or duplication, of my existing code. It made Java on the same level as C# in ease of development with the addition of the GUI developer. The Javadoc tool was amazing. It tells you what you haven't documented yet, which makes Javadocing much easier to do.I was wondering if any of you have used NetBeans. If so, what did you like about it and what did you not like about it? What do you like about other IDEs over what NetBeans offers?

I have used netbeans for an IDE before, but I can't decide if i like it or not.I have found it to be a little too featured, and confusing to use. Instead I prefer the IDE's where it simply keeps your files for your project together in a folder of some sort, and has code completion...basic simple debugging...but not much more...You add to much more and it gets harder to use.I found myself confused by all the options and everything with netbeans. Another thing is that it seems to be very resource intensive. Maybe if I spent a little more time with it I would learn how to better use it, and come to like it more.

Hi,I like Netbeans 5.5 and use it for all my Java programming. I've tried eclipse and just found the screen layout too confusing however, one of the best Java IDE's I've used has to be IntelliJ IDEA, fantastic but not free! :-(I feel Netbeans has a strong future as the amount of effort that's gone into it of late is amazing. I just hope it can presuade some of the hardened eclipse users to retry it again!!We'll have to wait and see who'll win this battle (if it's not already won!).-Hovis

One of my friends tried it for our project, and from what I can see, it eats alot of the system resources, mainly due to it being a Java program. Though I can say its quite feature-packed.For me though, I use either the simple Jcreator for small Java programs or Eclispe for JSP pages and servlets.