xisto Community
FirefoxRocks

Drupal 5 Released

After 8 months of development we are ready to release Drupal 5.0 to the world. Today is also Drupal's 6th birthday, so the timing could not be more perfect. Drupal 4.0 was released in 2002 and finally we feel confident to increase the major version number from 4 to 5.
Drupal powers sites across the web, ranging from the personal weblog of Tim Berners-Lee, podcast sites like TWIT.tv, community driven sites like SpreadFireFox.com, artist communities like Terminus 1525 to large media sites like TheOnion.com, MTV and even sites for NASA.

There have been over 492 contributors to the Drupal 5.0 release submitting 1173 patches, which is 150 more people than our previous record with Drupal 4.7. These new contributions are seen in the major usability improvements, a new Drupal core theme, a web-based installer, and expansion of the Drupal development framework that will afford themers and contributing developers even greater flexibility and power.

The link to download it is: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Xisto and Xisto need to upgrade the system in web hosting to support Drupal 5. I'm not sure if it will required a huge amount of work but it certainly sounds like a big job! :)

I'm really not familiar with Drupal, PHP and MySQL. I think that this is a good system to use because of the extended range of functions and the ease of use.

I'm surprised no one posted this yet here. :)

Wow, I can't believe myself for not posting about it yet. :)

Well, I'll excuse myself 'cause I haven't fully started using Drupal 5 (even though I've been messing around with it since the beta stage).

The new theme that comes with it, Garland, I think, is just amazing! And most of the modules have already been upgraded to work with the new and improved API. Not to mention that a new "Project" system has been deployed on the drupal website, and now modules and themes are versioned much more logically, so you know when a certain extension is compatible with your Drupal version. It's great!

I just really sometimes find it hard to believe that such a perfect piece of coding such as Drupal exists. It's written so well! And to the user, it's also great! Everyone should go out and download it right now!

I haven't completely made any website founded on any CMS. I tried out Joomla, WordPress, and other CMS programs but I found them useless. I haven't tried Drupal though but I've been seeing many people in need of a drupal website. Does anyone have links to tutorials that would help me modify the templates?

The Drupal website contains TONS of information about modifications of Drupal. Most importantly, it is open-source! So you can take it apart and do whatever you need to with it.I think I might be using Drupal on my website. However, I don't know what I will use it for. I haven't really come up with a reason to use CMS systems. Perhaps we should also share ideas here?

Drupel was equally as powerful and annoying when I tried it. I liked the intergrated Trove feature across the entire frame work (something Xoops sorely lacks), but then to add a menu item was bass ackwards. My big question is: does it support PostGreSQL again? If so I may deploy it again just to use it with PSQL on an upcoming project.

Yes, Drupal does support PostGreSQL 7.3+ and MySQL 5. Some modules might not fit in perfectly with PostGreSQL but you should be able to tweak them.I don't know too much about databases but what is the differences between PostGreSQL and MySQL? I personally prefer MySQL because that is the easiest and default database for servers and is most popular (from W3Schools).Apparently several popular companies use PostgreSQL, such as Skype, as shown on Wikipedia.