xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
smartking790

The First Computer In The World

The Atanasoff-Berry Computer was the world's first electronic digital computer. It was built by John Vincent Atanasoff and Clifford Berry at Iowa State University during 1937-42. It incorporated several major innovations in computing including the use of binary arithmetic, regenerative memory, parallel processing, and separation of memory and computing functions. On October 19, 1973, US Federal Judge Earl R. Larson signed his decision following a lengthy court trial which declared the ENIAC patent of Mauchly and Eckert invalid and named Atanasoff the inventor of the electronic digital computer -- the Atanasoff-Berry Computer or the ABC.

Clark Mollenhoff in his book, Atanasoff, Forgotten Father of the Computer, details the design and construction of the Atanasoff-Berry Computer with emphasis on the relationships of the individuals. Alice and Arthur Burks in their book, The First Electronic Computer: The Atanasoff Story, describe the design and construction of the ABC and provide a more technical perspective. Numerous articles provide additional information. In recognition of his achievement, Atanasoff was awarded the National Medal of Technology by President George Bush at the White house on November 13, 1990.

Interesting. Those initial computers always looked more like audio equipment than computers. They had all of the patch cables and knobs.One more thing.....I'm not a moderator/admin so I don't know if it is appropriate for me to address this issue but I believe the rules are quite strict about proper quotations and citations for your sources. Check out the FAQ on SPAM. You may also want to find a more appropriate section in the forum for this post...I can't see much correlation to animation :) Just wanted to give you a heads up.

i have to agree with 04dsmith86, wrong topic and need to use quotes and acknowledge your source!thats still some pretty interesting information about the first computer! does anyone know the system specs on the first system build. i doubt it would be like anything we know today, i dont even know if it would fit onto any scale of measurement we use (did it even have a 1mb of memory? did it have a sound or graphic card?)

Well if you want to get technical on this I would say the very first computer would have to be the molecule. Since they basically program life in the known universe.But yeah the very fist computers looked like radio equipment since the monitors just showed blips and wiggly lines.