xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Vyoma

Geese Formation Vector art illustration for blog article

Here is one more of a vector art illustration that I created just now for a future blog post of mine. After looking at few geese photos from Google Image search, I came up with this concept and drew it.

Posted Image

It took me about an hour using Inkscape to do the above illustration.

:)

mtnbluet, Mark420, thanks a lot.

knight17, could you suggest a color sheme for me? I seem to not able to go creative on the color scheme (might be because I am too sleepy now), but when I tried everything else, I seemed to do worse, and so I stuck with a naturalistic color scheme. It just marginally went along with the site where it will be published. Man! >< I do need to work on my color theory. :)

Thanks for your input, knight17.

Very nice! Good clean illustration. As for color scheme I think it could be tweaked a little too. I think a more muted blue would be easier on the eyes. The sky right now seems to be a little over powering. Maybe a color scheme like this?

Posted Image

If you change the color scheme, I would suggest you retain the same system... i.e. - the tips of the wings seem to be a darker version of the inside of the wings, and then a white body... black can probably remain, as it seems to define your outlines and eyes...dark (color) for wing tipslight (color) for wingsvery light (color) for body...EDIT: less light (color) for darker body color... woops...i.e. insert a variant of Red, Green, or Blue for (color) - as right now it looks like...dark (brown)light (brown)white...EDIT: grayyou dig? just a suggestion... I only say this because i use this fairly general scheme to draw 3d boxes and buttons - the white usually stays constant, as well as the black...also... for the sky, the gradient works well, although you may want to further enhance by either continuing with a hot/cold opposition, color/compliment, or perhaps cold/cold or hot/hot...i am by no means an artist... although... I've found the scheme works pretty well...what was that font you used for your name... that's pretty cool (not the gradient on the layer, but the actual typeface...)in addition, you could design them like fire.... the white body, yellow wings, and red tips... or a blue body... depending on how well you know the electromagnetic spectrum of visible light you can do many variations from violet to red or vice versa....as for the sky - the blue resulting from a diffraction of light through particles of O3 is usually quite natural... but you could generate a cloud field... to show perhaps why those geese are flying in the first place... (clouds seem to show that crappy winter weather is coming... although... they may have already arrived at their destination closer to the equator...)peace...p.s. never used inkscape... but many drawing programs include a cloud generation plugin (with color options...) and/or... you could add a sun and a lens flare for flavour.... (of course, the sun is usually hidden by clouds... lol)

Edited by polarysekt (see edit history)

polarysekt, hey thanks. That is quite an extensive explanation of color schemes you have given there. Though, I could not use it for the context.

as for the sky - the blue resulting from a diffraction of light through particles of O3 is usually quite natural... but you could generate a cloud field... to show perhaps why those geese are flying in the first place... (clouds seem to show that crappy winter weather is coming... although... they may have already arrived at their destination closer to the equator...)

Ah! Them flying in one direction is not actually the aim of this illustration. It is just that I wanted a illustration that showed that alignment amongst entities in nature, brought about their aesthetic beauty.

Yet, these are good set of options you have given me. It will surely help me in my study...

foolakadugie. :|

WOW! I mean - W O W!

I just woke up and logged into Asta and when I saw this, the little bit of sleep beads on my eyes evaporated! I just could not believe that you took the lame looking artwork of mine and converted into something so dramatic.

This definitely puts me on a path to learn more on color theory. I just cannot rely on structure and composition.

polarysekt, hey thanks. That is quite an extensive explanation of color schemes you have given there. Though, I could not use it for the context.

Ah! Them flying in one direction is not actually the aim of this illustration. It is just that I wanted a illustration that showed that alignment amongst entities in nature, brought about their aesthetic beauty.

Yet, these are good set of options you have given me. It will surely help me in my study...

foolakadugie. :|

WOW! I mean - W O W!

I just woke up and logged into Asta and when I saw this, the little bit of sleep beads on my eyes evaporated! I just could not believe that you took the lame looking artwork of mine and converted into something so dramatic.

This definitely puts me on a path to learn more on color theory. I just cannot rely on structure and composition.

I am glad you like it! Just remember that is all your art (just a quick tweak on my part :) )! Just think about colors opposite each other on the color wheel. I used a blue with a little green in it and for the wings a brown with some orange/red hues. Orange red compliments blue green because they are 180 degrees from each other on the color wheel.

Color really can make a big difference. Recently I designed a few different variations for a website design.

I felt so stuck after 3 different designs and I really hated one of them. I ended up taking my least favorite and giving it completely different colors and it just instantly transformed into something that worked. The client ended up choosing that design. It amazed me that when I took that boring ugly design and gave it some new colors it just immediately WORKED.

If you want to learn more about color you could research triad and tetrad color harmonies. For some quick color inspiration the following site can help with making some neat color combinations:

http://colorblender.com/

Edited by foolakadugie (see edit history)

Thanks for that link, foolakadugie, and thanks for all that juicy info.

I knew about color harmony a bit, and I do apply it while designing web-pages, but it never really crossed my mind that the artworks to could use choices heavily based on color theory.