xisto Community
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

Asta & Trap Search Plug-ins Updated To OpenSearch Format

Hi folks,

I just finished re-working the old forum search plug-ins for both Xisto and Xisto. They're now recoded in the OpenSearch XML format and hence, compatible with both Firefox & IE7.

For those who don't know, we've a set of search plug-ins that can be installed in the Quick Search box in Firefox to quickly search the forums with specific keywords, without visiting the forum search page at all.

The plug-ins can be installed from: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Included in the new version is Autodiscovery mode, which allows your browser to automatically discover the plugin once you visit the plug-ins page. The plug-in is auto-listed in the drop-down menu in the quick-search box and gets installed rightaway when you click on it.

Something that might make an interesting read --> A tutorial I wrote on designing such plugins.

Any problems with the plugins, do let me know...

Regards,

m^e

thanks M^E for this one..it seems that you have created this tutorial on your site.. can i have this one quoted in my website? it seems to be interesting enough to do some experimentation on this plugin using your code..****cheers M^E. good share.

Yup sure go ahead :) It'll be great if my tutorial helps in anyway to get you started on writing more funky ones :) Be sure to check out the OpenSearch syntax list - it's not complicated at all... you can actually control the number of search results returned, the pagination of the results and a lot more.

Incidentally, I've got another tutorial on how to create a similar blog-search plug-in for those who're using WordPress. The tutorial can be found at: On Creating an OpenSearch Plug-in for WordPress (for Firefox & IE7)

Cheers,

m^e

This is awesome M^E, although since I rarely remember that search bar exists, I won't be trying it out. Are you still putting any work into other plugins, such as the credits plugin you made once that would eventually on completion report your credits at the bottom of the window on the status bar?~Viz

Yeah - where I'd run into trouble earlier on was that i needed opaque to write some server-side ajax for it so that you could view ONLY YOUR OWN CREDITS.

However, now that the everyone's credits are openly visible through the Process page interface, I should modify the extension to take only your username and provide you with the credit details.

Should be ready in a jiffy :)

M^Ejust to let you know that i will start stealing your codes for this project effective today..development will start maybe this coming month..maybe a cool and eyecathing button or small banner from you that i can add so that when some visitors visits my site, they will know where the code was stolen..----- ;) Lately, I totally messed up my website and now i am redoing things backup..